icon

Fiberglass Tape

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
Hey. I just found this stuff at Rona called Fiberglass Tape. It's used mainly for drywalling applications, but i was thinking about usuing it to fiberglass my dash for my 82 Monte Carlo. Its basicaly a roll of  woven fiberglass with one sticky side. I figured if I just evenly layed the entire dash in it, and glassed on top of that, It'd work just like fiberglass. So then I could sand and bondo like normal. And this way I'd be left with the original dash style. Anyone ever tried this stuff?
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
i have...i make a spoiler out of it, lol.  worked fine except fot the fact that the wood expanded and shrank with the weather and caused it to crack...i dont entirely like it though, it doesnt want to hold around fairly tight curves, even with a lot of resin....its fairly stiff, but is good for flat surfaces for sure....actually, u say its woven fiberglass?  the stuff i used was more of a fiberglass mesh...probably the same stuff, but i dont like it a whole lot as u can just paint on some resin and make the cloth stick to it.  so why do u want to fiberglass right onto your existing dash? changing the shape of it anywhere or shanging something?  or just wanting to get a really smooth surface?
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
too bad i cant edit yet....but IMO it would take more time to lay the strips of fiberglass tape since u will have to put down the tape and foil to keep it from sticking to the dash anyways....more opinions are definitely needed though as I'm just a newbie
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ya basically what i wanted to do originally was just paint the dash. But I noticed cracks and tears in the soft spots. So I figured the best thing, and easiest would be using the tape. Then I get a solid, smooth finish. Do you think areas that it doesn't stick to could use some glue to help?
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

What I'm diong is taping right on to the existing dash. Im not making a mold. SO i wont need to foil or mask it off cuz i WANT it to stick to the dash.

placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
ok!  not sure if its fiberglass that u want to use then to fix those cracks...its vinyl right.  if u are going to use fiberglass then rip off the "soft stuff" and work with the metal/plastic
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
If i rip off the soft stuff, i wont know what kind of shell ill be left with. I dont want to have to do any molding . How do if its a solid structure underneath?
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
i dont know what kind of shell u will be left with either, but I'm guessing that there wasnt a whole lot of shaping with the padding so basically u should still have the same shape, just a half inch smaller, which can be build up with fiberglass again if u want...but dont start riping things apart till someone else says the same thing.
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

Ya I thought about ripping off the plastic and all that. but I just wasn't sure what it would look like underneath. Plus it'd just save me some time to tape right over it. Lets seem if anyone else will post anything.

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Im pretty sure that there is a solid structure underneath there. My buddy took his dash in his honda accord out and tore that stuff and painted it. But dont hold me to that cause that was a 94 honda accord not a monte carlo.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic