icon

Mold of dash trim

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  

This might sound stupid to some people, or hell, maybe everyone, but what I am wanting to do, is in my 1999 Nissan Maxima, I am wanting to get some liquid foam, and pour it into a rubbermaid bucket, and then setting my trim in there front facing up, and not sticking it all the way in there, just a right to the top... then once it sets and dries, come out and pop it out(not sure how I should do it, if I need to wrap it in Aluminum Foil or tape before setting it in there) and then filling the mold with liquid plastic, because what I will be doing will be mounting my aftermarket HU down where the little pop out drawer is, and installing a screen where the factory HU is, does this sound like it would work? I was going to cover the top of the trim with tape or foil, but then I started thinking about how I would attach it, if you have ANY ideas what so ever, please help a new fiberglasser out please, just tryin to make it look factory and look awesome... The reason why I don't just get the dremel out and go to town on the factory trim is because if I want to sale the car or trade it in later, I can have all the stock stuff, and bolt it right back on. Thanks for the help, and please help if you can, no idea is stupid at this point. Thanks. I love the 12-V!

Duke Duke
randman1 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
I like your idea of being able to return to the factory look after your mods. I feel the same way. I recently made some changes to my Bonneville by installing a double DIN HU in a 1.5 DIN opening. I modified the dash trim aquired from a parts car. If I didn't have a parts car, I would have gone to a junkyard and found one. If necessary, I can always go back to the factory radio and original trim.
There's probably plenty of Maxima's in local junkyards because of their popularity. It probably will be less expensive than the foam and other materials necessary to accomplish what you want.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

And not to mention way less work by just buying extra parts from a junkyard, it will be a lot quicker that way.

DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
All right thanks, I was just also going to mess with the foam mold, by using a template for my screen, and putting a peice of MDF wrapped in foil or something there so that I don't have to cut and glass and bondo for the screen, I could just pop it in, or add the trim to the mold so when I pour the plastic it would adhere itself to it. But thanks for the info, I will call around, that thought went through my head, I have done junkyards many times, but I was just wanting less work with the trimming and everything! Thanks guys!
Duke Duke

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic