icon

alternators for 93 bonneville

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
monteman67 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
i am having a little trouble with my stock altenator on my bonneville, i have 3 amps (1 small alpine ,1 medium alpine ,1 500bd rockford) i only get 20 days out of a alternator   (95 amps) anybody know where to get a bigger alt or should i try this   ,, also have a 1 fared cap is this too many amps on stock alt...?????????help please any info is appreciated
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
That shouldn't be too much on a stock alternator. You may have another problem. You can get a high output alternator from www.4alterstart.com, but I don't think this will fix your trouble in this case.
'85 Toy
Image6902 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
what size power cable are you running to your amps? you need to reciprocate it on the ground side of the battery to allow the electrical current back to the battery. replace both side post battery terminals (positive and ground) with aftermarket accessory battery posts. Hook your power cable to positive and take the same size wire from your ground to the body of the car. this increases the ground wire capacity to allow correct flow back to battery. this will help if your lights dim and will extend the life of the alternator. go buy a cheap one at autozone after you correct your wiring and try it. if that one fries too, lifetime warranty baby! but seriously, the draw you have from your amps can't return to the battery through your factory body ground, so you have to reinforce it.
I tell it like it is...
monteman67 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
thank you,,,, im running a 4 guage from my optima top post to my distrubution block then to my power cap i have ,, 8 guage to my amps ,,  i have 4  guage ground to the body  the only thing i can think is maybe because i am useing the top posts for my amps supply  and side post for my starter supply ect.... maybe this has something to do with it????????  the ground is in the trunk 15 to 20 inchs long good connection... should i run another ground up at the battery to body?  my lights never dim..the optima is very strong..   any help is great             thanks monteman
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
are you using reman alternators? if so get a new one the remans are garbage
monteman67 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
yes i am   im beginning to agree with you
Xracerx 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

I been down this road before. I worked at a shop that rebuilt Starters, Alt, and electrical systems.

Do your self a favor and skip the rebuilds at auto stores, There cheap junk! Go get you some factory parts. Rectifier, Stator, and windings along with some needle bearings. Then rebuild it yourself its not hard. Also dont buy cheap batteries that use cheater blocks to fill the case. There black so you can't see the plates only go halfway down.

monteman67 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the advice ...also i have a good battery (optima)  ... i am going to try a new alt.
Xracerx 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

NP, I still don't know why people use a Capacitor. They do nothing but drain your battery and steal energy. It has to be charged by your alt to start with, When it discharges your alt now has to charge the cap and run the system which taxs the system even more. iIt may look cool but the money could be spent on a real good Alt or battery to start with.

If your battery, Alt and wiring are in good shape you don't need one to start with. They are used to try and fix a problem with the electrcial system that needs a upgrade, You can't fix it with a bandaid.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic