Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
g8trhtr 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

2001 BMw 325ci

stock radio, Keenwood  7201 amp, fos cap,

Here is my issue, the BMW has a stock woofer behind the rear seat, I disconnected and removed the woofer, used the wireing for the lines in on the amp. (1) bridged the amp to 460 rms @ 4ohms, gain set @ 1, wired into a 2.00cu. ported box, port length @10.25 @ 35 hz, kicker 12L7 2ohm DVC wired in series for a 4 ohm load, my sub is now toast. double checked wireing and was to specs. previous I had a memphis that is also toast, and a JL, My question is could the stock wireing cause these subs to smoke up? Help.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

elimitate you gain setting by putting it to minimal, as well as your crossover. Upgrade all wiring to 4 guage, for both power and ground. Your ground should be less than 3 feet. After this is all taken care of, install new woofer and adjust crossover and gain according to you ear, but be careful no to exceed their specs.

"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  

uthinkuknoaudio wrote:
elimitate you gain setting by putting it to minimal, as well as your crossover. Upgrade all wiring to 4 guage, for both power and ground. Your ground should be less than 3 feet. After this is all taken care of, install new woofer and adjust crossover and gain according to you ear, but be careful no to exceed their specs.

Uh,"adjust crossover and gain according to ear"?  This is not the best advice without explaining further.  Start HERE to learn how to set gain.  I highly recomend reading all that the Basic Car Audio site has to offer.

When you say your sub is toast, what exactly do you mean?  What is the make/model of your amp?

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Replacing subs like that has got to be expensive.  Just leave the factory sub wiring disconnected and tape the ends.  Instead of using the sub wiring to feed signal to the amp, use a high quality LOC like this N85V and tap the front OEM speaker wires.  You can adjust the line voltage to the amp.  Buy a recommended test CD and digital multimeter for setting gain, or have a professional do it for you.  You wouldn't be destroying subwoofers if they were receiving clean power.  And make sure the enclosure size you use is what the sub needs.  Choose a sealed enclosure if you're not positively sure about figuring volume and porting.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
g8trhtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
The amp is a Kenwood 7201. crossover set at 70, box specs came from Kicker( 2.0cuft 4'port 10.25 length). I agree about the cost, It hurts. Whrer can I find a wireing diagram for a BMW?
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
Run your own wiring, don't use the factory, if your amp and sub are bigger and more powerful than the factory then chances are that the factory wiring will not be up to par to power your bigger stereo. 
what!?!?! you want some??
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Blowing your speaker is not likely to be caused by a problem with power or speaker wiring, it's much more likely related to the amp clipping.  How did you set the input gain on the amp?  Are you using the Bass Boost feature?
Support the12volt.com
g8trhtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
the amp is bridged to 460 @ 4ohms, gain set @ 1, the 12db boost is on, the sub is a single kicker 12l7 dvc, wireing is in series,
DYohn 
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

And how did you determine that "gain set at 1" is proper?  I bet this is the problem: your gain is incorrect and the amp is clipping like crazy.  I suggest you turn that bass boost off and set your gain properly, especially since you are using a high-level input to the amp driven by the factory sub amp (if I understand your setup correctly.)  Do you need instructions on how to do this?

Also, does your amp have a sub-sonic filter?  Where's it set?  You have a ported enclosure tuned to 35Hz; you will need to high-pass that at about 30-35Hz to protect the woofer from over-excursion.  This might also be part of the problem.

Support the12volt.com
g8trhtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

thanks that would be of great help. I have tried to locate a sub-sonic filter and they looked at me crossed eyed. I am only using the crossover built into the amp. How do I identify "clipping".

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic