icon

working with fiberglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
i'm thinking about starting to experiment with glass but i'm not quite sure where to start. i want to build an enclosure for my brahma and make a little amp rack to hold the two amps i'll be using as well. now obviously i would want to do little projects before i actually make it. any suggestions? should i just start out by making like a box or something? what's a good temperature to work with fiberglass? i was hoping maybe to mess around with it a little during the thanksgiving break. but it's cold here. like mid 50's during the day if we're lucky. is that too cold?
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

so after doing more research i have more questions.

1) i would preferably want a box that i could remove.if i were to build the back and bottom fo the box out of mdf (which seems is recommended) then would i still be able to take it out if i needed to?

2)one main concern of mine is the weight of my woofer. it's a brahma 12 and weighs 39 lbs. will a fiberglass box be able to hold it? i would like the woofer to rest at an angle rather than vertical or horizontal.

3) what's the deal with replacing components once you have built the enclosure? i would make the enclosure of the woofer include an amp rack for two amps. but if i wanted to change one fo the amps would i be able to or not?

4)if i have this many questions should i just stick to a wood MDF enclosure/amp rack?

LatinMax 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

1- It all depends on the sixe of the box. Usually you do FB to form it to the interior/truck space. (make it look like one piece)

2- Yes it will handle the weight without any problem. Depends on the thickness. (remember that car body kits and Corvettes are made of FG. lol) You can mount the woofer anyway you want.

3- If you replace equipment that is of a different size then you will have to make a new box/amp rack, or ct that part out and remake just that part...thats the cool part.

4- completely up to you

Having Fun in Texas!
"LatinMax"
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
basically i would want to make the whole thing like one continuous looking structure that runs along the entire back side of the trunk. i have a 97 accord if that gives you a sense of what i'm trying to do. i'm trying to build it around the spare tire incase of emergencies.
LatinMax 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
Coupe or hatchback
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
coupe

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.