icon

Is this too much amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bbusbee 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  

If I want to power a set of Infinity components speakers, two 6 1/2" woofers with matching tweeters, that are rated at 110 watts RMS with 400 watts max capacity, how much amp power is recommended?  I am considering using the Kenwood KAC-7201 and the speakers are Infinity Perfect 6.1 component system.  Is this too much amp or too little and what about the quality of Kenwood amps? 

Thanks for your input. 

BBusbee

kklagge 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
That amp should be okay as long as you run it slightly less than full power. The Infinity's should be able to handle a little more than 110RMS if you have them crossed over at around 100.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Thats a dangerous suggestion to make, "as long as you run it slightly less than full power". How about you just run it the way its suposed to be done and match your input sensitivity to the head unit output, the way its suposed to be done. The Gain is not a volume control, if it was it would say "volume Control" not Gain.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
bbusbee 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat,

Can you please explain what you mean by input sensitivity? 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
Start HERE to learn how to set gain.
Support the12volt.com
kklagge 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
Raven...I guess what I wrote was taken the wrong way. I never said a word about using the gain knob as a volume control. I suppose I should have said something more along the lines of...that amp will work just fine as long as you don't turn the volume on the HU to 30 out of 30 after you match the sensitivity of the amp to the HU.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
See ,that sounds better, the reason why I took it that way is because what was written was "That amp should be okay as long as you run it slightly less than full power" with it implying the amp and nothing said about the head unit. No Harm no foul but when giving advise to people who are new and wouldnt know better you have to make things clear to avoid contributing to problems they might have. With that being said I have done similar things on this forum so its no big deal
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kklagge 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
No harm, no foul.....unlike the Pistons - Pacers game, huh? LMAO
bbusbee 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
You guys are awesome, I love this website!  Your advice is greatly appreciated.  Now after reading the article that DYohn sent to me I have to figure out what the Pre Amp output power of the Alpine-9833 should be.  The specification in the owners manual says The Maximum Pre-Output Voltage is 4 V / 10 k ohms.  Is this the Pre-Amp voltage signal? 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, that would be the maximum output signal level.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic