icon

Raised letters/emblems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

What is the best way to make raised letters or emblems for a fiberglass box? Just use ply and cut them out how you want them?

Duke Duke
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

hmmm...u might be able to get wooden letters at a store or something, then glue em on and fiberglass over them...or u could make em yourself

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah im pretty sure if you go to the craft section in wal mart they sell wooden letters. They are kind of thick but I know you could just sand down the back side of them. Then I'd just put a little resin down stick them to the glass the way you want them and fiberglass over them.   I know that for raised letter in tweed and fabrics and stuff, they just use styrofoam. So you may be able to do that too.
smurfsport 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
You can use 1/8 inch foam as well.
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

I think that using the foam will do mush better job then the wood letters due to them being so large it just would not look right.

But just remember to use tape or foil to cover the foam because the resin will melt the foam makeing a huse mess! Just A thought that i should tell you

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah but can you not get the wood in different sizes at like a craft store like Michaels or something.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not very sure i was also thinking that you could go to a decal shop and have them cut out some letters and/or some graphics so the letters can be the type that you want instead of the regular style. then put the vinal on 1/4'' wood or foam and cut it out then fibberglass over it.

Just another thought for you to be thinking about.

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
tjwuth 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Most guys I've talked to use foam.  The first decal I did was for my cousin whose last name is Miller, so I traced out the Miller beer logo on some quarter inch MDF and then used my rotozip to cut it out.  A little bit of glue on the back and then a lot of time tucking the carpet into all the groves and the box was ready to go.  Too bad that was before I realized that I should take pictures.
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome, my girlfriends name is Sarah, and I was thinking about custom fiberglassing a box painted pink(her favorite color) with the letters Sarah lifted up off the box, and cut out smaller Sarah behind it, with a pink neon back lighting it, does it sound like a good idea? Or does it even sound possble?
Duke Duke
tjwuth 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a good idea.  It's definately possible, you'll just have to take your time and be very tidious about it.  If you go to http://www.1001freefonts.com/ you can download different fonts to try and then just pic one that looks good.  Or you might even surf the net to see if some actress or singer has a cool design for that name.  There are two ways I can think of to do it.  1.  Use plexi and cut the decal larger than you want.  Then mask of the smaller decal right on that piece and paint the outer edges with the box.  Remove the masking tape and you've got raised letter's with a clear window for back lighting. (by the way I would try to use clear LED's behind a pink lens rather than neon.  You won't run into any noise and the LED's are much brighter and last longer.)  2. Your other opption is to cut out a window in the box using the outline of the letters and then behind that make a small box with smaller letters raised on it.  Light it from behind the edges of the window and then when you look down on it it will have a 3D effect.  It all depends on how much time you want to put into your project. 
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic