Custom mounted PS2?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
ive seen it before but now i cant find it online
i wantto mount the playstation inside of the rear armrest of a BMW. i seen it done.does anyone have links to pics of it or how to do it
thanks
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  
What I have seen done is as follows:
The center armrest is removed, and the leather taken off the cushion material. Then the dimensions are measured and a hollow box (of 1/4"-1/2" MDF) is made as a frame to hold the PS2. This box is usually 1" smaller in every dimension than the original armrest, save for the side you want the tray to open, and controllers to be accessed. Then 1" foam padding is used to cover the entire box, and the original leather is recovered. A hole is cut on the same side the PS2 drawer opens, and the opening sewn over to prevent fraying. Then the new armrest is installed using the original hardware. It sounds simple, sorry if it is a little confusing. I wish I had some pics.
One problem I have seen with people that cut out the original armrest is the PS2 does not have adequate cooling. But it is a possibilty either way. You will have to put a small fan to cool the system.
DXAV
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
so make a whole new armrest. doesnt sound that bad but i have to figure it out. second its the new PS2 so i have to take into acountthat it opens on top
i guess ill figure somthin
but if someone has pics that yould be good too
thanks guys
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the new system will make it slightly different. I think the easiest way to do it would be to:
-Remove the armrest
-Remove the leather
-Cut the leather to fit the PS2's lines
-Make a frame for the PS2
-Install the PS2 into the frame
-Cut out the cushion armrest material to fit the system (mount somehow, not sure)
-Install the framed PS2
-Recover the armrest and reinstall
Sure, it sounds easy, but it probably isn't. I can picture the process in my head. I apologize for not having more detail or pics.
Hopefully this atleast sheds light on your project.
DXAV
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
yeah that what i was thinking of my only problem is after cuttingthe leather is finishing it im notthat great of a sewer . and i want to put an edging on it so back to the drawing board

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic