icon

2nd FB project getting started

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  

I'm about to start my second fibreglass project this weekend.  But there is just one quesiton i'm wondering....

The car is a 1999 Mercury Cougar.  wants 2 MTX 12's and 1 amp installed in the back using as little trunk room as possible.  There will be the subs in the back corners of the trunk(one on either side), but for the corner enclosures...there is carpet running up the sides....i can't cut the carpet in those area's out because he wants it to be removable.  So i'm wondering what i do about the carpet?  Do i pull it right out so i can get a tight fit into the corner and then just put it back witht he final assembling is being done? N E idea's on how i would go about doing this?? i will be posting pics of the progress. 

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Cant you just put tape and aluminum foil over the carpet and make a mold like that.
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

That's what i would do.

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
mob.dynam.grad 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
if its over top of the carpet....it isn't a tight fit in the corner becase the carpet is just kinda there...it isn't tight against the side wall of the trunk...so when i go to attatch it to th trunk so it isn't bouncing around...i wont have any spot that is tight against the metal of the trunk.  Any other ideas?
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
Pics would help, definitely.
DXAV
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
how thick is the carpet?  if u do it without the carpet i think that would make for a nice tight fit, but if the carpet is too thick then u may have too tight of a fit...maybe remove the carpet and put down a thick piece of cardboard, so its thiner than the carpet and will give a nice tight fit when the carpets in.
D'Ecosse 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

I would go to a breaker yard, find a replacement carpet and cut that where you want to!

Have him keep his original carpet for if/when he wants to return it to stock.

hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  

If the carpet isn't tight against the wall, wont the weight of the box be enough to hold it down? I dont see it 'bouncing around' if you secure it properly.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic