the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Which brand for wiring and where to buy?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xaudiopipex 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
ive always used stinger, its worked well for me.  it just depends on how much you are willing/want to spend.
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

Its not about how much I want to spend. I want good equipment at the best price. If there is reason to pay more for a particular brand Im all for it if there is a good reason. (Besides brand name).

Another question I was wondering. If the High output alternator I buy has a 4g output wire, why do I need to run 0/1g all the way to my trunk? Isn't it the water theroy. I can put a 12" pipe at the end of my water hose but its only going to flow as much as the smallest (most resisant) point? (12" pipe on a  1" water hose, sounds like what the kids do around here with their honda exhaust)

xaudiopipex 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
are you running 1 or 2 batteries?  if you've got 2 batteries, one in the trunk, then 2ga is fine to run between them.  i think there is a chart on this site somewhere to tell you which gauge wire you should use.
xaudiopipex 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
i ment 4ga for ther two battery set-up
quick4321 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
No, Im running 1 battery. Im relocating to the trunk becasue I will eventally have to do this when I install my supercharger.
xaudiopipex 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
i'd think that a 4ga kit would be fine.  i'd still look for that chart on this site about the power wires
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
actually ... walmart has a decent 4ga kit gfor like $25. I just got it for the 20 some ft of 4ga red wire, 5 ft 4ga grey wire plus some 8ga power and ground wire. It also has some sh*tty RCAs (never tried them out) and some speaker wire that i for some use out of.
A buddy of mine bout two of them, took the power / ground wires out of both of them, put everything else in one package and returned it. He just said that he got the wrong size and walmart didn't say sh*t.
quick4321 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
lol, good old walmart. I heard the other day that someone bought one of those bargain amp kits (fleabay I think) and the wire was 4gauge, but only becasue the plastic was 1/4" thick. He said the wire itself was maybe 8gauge. (I think I read that here, so I'd be careful what you buy at walmart)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

All the suggestions here are good.  Most of the name brand wiring kits and patch cables are great quality.  But IMO, for power wire there is no real need to spend extra money for a custom name brand kit unless you want the looks they provide.  Standard wire from Radio Shack, Home Depot or any electronics store (in the proper gage) is all I ever use for power and speaker wire.  I must admit I use Monster, Knuconcepts, Stinger and Streetwires (depending on available money) for my RCA and other patch cables instead of el-cheapo's but really only because I appreciate the more robust build quality they provide.

Support the12volt.com
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
hey hey, whats with the honda comments??? And fyi, its the opposite with us, 1 inch of water, 12 inch tip (I have it on my car Which brand for wiring and where to buy? - Page 2 -- posted image. )
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic