icon

Upgraded Alternator help and questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  

After talking to the Dynaudio rep, he was telling me with the system Im building I will not be able to supply enough power to my amps to get anywhere near close to my full power potential. He said even with an upgraded alternator I won't come close. So I have two questions....

1. What do I need to look for in my upgraded alternator. I wsa looking at one web site and the site broke down the outputs by RPM. Now the 200amp alt did have the highest output but the 150amp alt actually beat it in output through most of the RPM range. Since most of my driving is below 4k rpm I would think it would be smarter to get an alternator that proformed excelent at idle and 3k rpm max (on this site it was actually the 150amp model), since that is what most people are at 90% of the time there are driving. What tips can you give me and brands should i look into? I can see that buying an upgraded alternator maybe tricky since in this business the truth seems to get streched somethimes when it comes to outputs.

2. Do I want to look into running multiple alternators? How hard is it and is it worth the hassle to run a second or third alternator? (No Im not going to compete anymore so this stereo just for me)

Heres my setup:

ONE .....  Monitor 1 = 4x70

TWO .....   Monitor 1 = 2x120

ONE .....   HiFonics Colosus 1800x1 Class AB

Total power = 2560 watt and im told the Hifonics is quite under rated so I bet Ill pull 2600+ watts (if it was maxed out, which Im sure will never happen)

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think that Hifonics amp is underrated, nor is any of their other new line products..I could be wrong..
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  

I'd say upgrade your alternator first. Look around, see what you can find. If you need to, you can get the 200A and an overdrive pulley. Also keep in mind that RPMs given in alternator output listings are not engine RPMs but alternator RPMs. Alternators pretty much always spin faster than the engine - you don't see alternator pulleys bigger than crank pulleys, after all.

Anyway, if it turns out the HO alternator is not enough, then look into 2 alternators. Running multiple alternators can be a pain, so only do it if you have to.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Ya I see what youre saying about the pulley. I never thoguht about that . Any specific brand worth looking into, or is there a trusted company worth buying from? Lastly is there anythig nspecific I should look for when buying a high powered alternator? Thanks
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
We ran a Gen XI Colossus at 1 ohm(I know it was rated down to 2 only) and when we competed it drew approx 210-220 amps from our charging system.If you put a 200 amp alt. and good battery,cables and a large cap or bat-cap back by the amp I think you'll do just fine.You won't be standing on this animal for 8 continuous hours anyway.Good luck. 
BigDog
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.reman.com/alterstart/
Give those guys a call. I have never personally dealt with them, but have been referred there by a few people. The prices he quoted me were good, but I have yet to buy one.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic