icon

MDF Screw Up question?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I'm kinda embarrassed to ask this... hahaha But when I was building my box for my next install into my car, I needed to make 2 angle cuts greater than 45 degrees. Our table saw only goes up to 45 degrees... So I matched up some lines and did it free hand with a saw. Well needless to say it came out close but theres still a goot 1/8" gap in some spots!!!!!!!!! Can I just make up a mixture of sawdust and wood glue to make a wood filler? I know it won't be "AS STRONG" but in recent experiences with elmers wood glue, the wood broke in other places than the glue joint. Which leads me to believe that the wood/glue joints are much stronger. I don't wanna seem like a "hack" but that was really the only way I could think of doing it... The box will have a lexan window in it... so you will be able to see inside but the location is out of view... I will also be painting the inside hite to reflect light...
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Man I would think that would fine. That or go get you a tube of liquid nail, thats what I just put my box together with and I took a part that I cut out that was held together by nothing but liquid nail.  I smashed it on the concrete trying to break it apart and all the wood broke except the part that had liquid nail on it.  So I know that it is strong as crap man. But really I think either would work.
drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
I believe that you can just us durglass which is a fiberglass reinforced body filler
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I forgot about that too, I just used that for my box, and its really strong.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

I Personly would not use elmers glue i would do like  realitycheck said to do, use liquid nail that is the strongest glue that i know other than Gorilla Glue They say that it is the toughest glue on the planet. I do some wood work from time to time and that is the only wood glue that i use. You can buy it at lowe's or home depot.

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
D'Ecosse 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

BoominRolla wrote:
..... I needed to make 2 angle cuts greater than 45 degrees. Our table saw only goes up to 45 degrees...

Set your saw to (90-desired angle) then run your material through vertcially against the fence instead of flat on the table. Clamp a scrap piece of board onto your metal fence first to both protect it & to give you improved stability (being taller)

BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

I must have looked at that table saw for 20 mins trying to figure out something like that...

Set your saw to (90-desired angle) then run your material through vertcially against the fence instead of flat on the table. Clamp a scrap piece of board onto your metal fence first to both protect it & to give you improved stability (being taller)

ANYWAYS... Thanks for the tip!!! Now I can probably use that technique to make the cuts almost perfect. Then join those together with liquid nails...

D'Ecosse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

BoominRolla wrote:
ANYWAYS... Thanks for the tip!!! Now I can probably use that technique to make the cuts almost perfect. Then join those together with liquid nails......

Cheers Bro!

One more tip for you - try Gorilla Glue - great stuff on MDF!

http://www.gorillaglue.com/gGlue.html

D'Ecosse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  

p.s. (can't edit!)

Follow the instructions - dampen the surface with a wet sponge first.

You can find it at Home Depot.

D'Ecosse 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

p.p.s

Use a finger board to keep the work-piece firmly against the fence - it's much tougher (almost impossible!)  with a vertical piece to keep it tight without one.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic