icon

Factory Radios w/ RDS

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbpate 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

Where I work, we usually turn away deck installs on vehicles with RDS because we don't have anyone that knows exactly what it is.  I have searched the internet for some information but there is no real technical information regarding RDS. If anyone knows anything about RDS and what is required to change one of these decks, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

This technology allows stations to transmit additional types of information via encoded digital signals that can be received and displayed by the user's Radio. For instance: an RDS-capable Radio can display the title and artist or current song playing, local traffic information, an advertiser's phone number while a commercial is playing, etc...

this has nothing to do with putting a different radio in a vehicle, only that the existing radio has this capability...

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

from what i know if you ever change rds radios for an after market you must get a special gm relocation wiring kit so u can keep the radio hooked up. i understand that if you dont keep the radio in the car wired and start the engine you might accidently deploy the air bags, i think the srs computer is in the radio, although ive never had the air bags go off, this is what ive heard. anybody else have any more info on the subject?

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
the issue you are talking about applies to specific models and model years of GM vehicles regardless of whether the radio in these vehicles is an RDS radio or not........
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Spikecd40 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
On certain GM vehicles they are equipped with RDS this means that the factory radio controls all audible warning for the vehicle.  This includes door chimes, oil pressure gauge, and on star.  The air bag issue is usually only on newer impalas and monte carlos.  So if you ever put an aftermarket radio in one of these cars you need to either relocate the factory radio or you can buy a harness that is a $100 and it has the RDS chip built into the harness so there is no need to relocate the radio.
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

RDS Is radio data systems!!!!!!!!!!!it has nothing to do with the rest of the vehicle, it has nothing to do with taking the radio out of the vehicle, RDS has nothing to do with GM door chimes or On Star, where do you guys get this awful information!!!!!!!Where the heck have you seen a wirning harness with an RDS chip in it, yeah right!!!!

Jazzy

Spikecd40 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

next time you take the radio out of a newer GM try to listen for the door chimes with the aftermarket radio in it.  THERE WILL BE NO DOOR CHIME.  RDS does stand for radio data system. And yes it does control your on star and door chimes.  I use the harness everyday.  Also i install everday.  Basically this harness puts your door chime behind the radio.  This retains the use of all audible warnings for the vehicle.  You can ask any real installer about what RDS really stands for.  I think I would know about this  since i do it for a living.

----------------------------------------------------

MECP Certified Installer

Spikecd40 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  

here is the model number for the harness that Jazzy says does not exist

METRA VT-GMRC-01,  If you need some more info check out crutchfield.com and type that model number in the search field.  Jazzy You shouldnt try to bash someone when you dont know what you are talking about..

----------------------------------------------------

MECP Certified Installer

lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
I've sold Kenwood decks with RDS, does this mean I can just wire them up to a GM.  No, RDS recieves info transmitted by radio stations, traffic report, weather, song titles, ect.  It is not the same as class 2 data bus.  In the GM, service codes can be displayed through factory decks using the RDS display.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
OK, lets put this puppy down. RDS in particular is in reference to the abbility to recieve data that has to do with the radio stations and traffic and what not like kgerry said. It does however coincide with the GM vehicles that need a data relocation harness like SpikeCD said. There are vehicles with RDS decks that DO NOT need to be relocated. Now on to this airbag stuff. If you remove the factory deck and do not relocate it you may set the WARNING LIGHT for the airbag off but the airbags themselves will never ever deploy because of this. That is an urban legend. It also has nothing to do with the antilock brake system which I have heard before. It does control all the door chimes and other audible indicaters because the vehicle uses the drivers speaker for this. When doing these vehicles you should always use the relocation harness and factory deck or the Harness kits with the data module to avoid sending error codes back to the computer beacase the chain has been broken on the data bus line by removing the deck. The module in the harness is NOT A RDS chip but simply a copy of the module inside the deck that pertains to the data bus system, and I think that harness also lets you retain the audible alarms but I am not sure. I always use the harness where you use it in conjunction with the factory deck. We have had this discussion many times before but I notice that everyone except for Kevin is new to the site. If you wanna do a site serch I am sure you can find a previous post about the class 2 databus system where its like 4 pages long and we all fought about this. If you have any other questions or if you wanna say I am full of sh*t feel free to post again.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic