Do I need a Capacitor ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04r1belgium 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
Will be installing my new system in my new 2005 BMW 5 series. The car has a 170A alternator. I plan on installing:
1 x Rockford Fosgate power 1051S (birthsheet 1119W RMS continuous ! :-) )
1 x Boston Acoustics Pro 12.5LF
Will I need a cap, or would that be a waste of money ?
Thanks !
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
A second battery will actually serve you better. There are many people who say yes, many say no to the cap question. I feel that in SOME cases a cap can help, but in more cases than not a second battery does much better than a cap. In your case, you could go either way. Try the battery first. FORGET ANY ISOLATORS, and just hook it in parallel with the front battery. If you feel that you want to dump 100 bucks US on small performace gains, mail it to me, and I'll fly over there and help push your car... (or go to lunch... Do I need a Capacitor ? -- posted image.)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
get a 2nd battery instead, though i don't really know if you will need it, but if you have your heart set on a back up supply of power i would suggest a battery over a cap, cap's give you a small amount of extra power for a very short amount of time and just look pretty, when an extra battery gets the job done.  I have an xstatic batcap,which is basically a battery, and it helps 100 times more than my two 1 farad caps ever did.
what!?!?! you want some??
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
You alternator should put out plenty.
Paul
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

You're fine with what you have right now..IMO a cap would be a waste..that 170 should serve you nice.

Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
mcfly2 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
I would go with a 2nd battery
mcfly
daze 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

I would do CAPS, one is not gonna be enough. The reason people have such horrior stories with caps is because for high current amps, one cap is not enough(well 1 farad). You need 1 farad for every 300-400 watts of power... so you do the math

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
See the capacitor page at http://www.bcae1.com/
The author is skeptical that they actually work as advertised. So am I.
I'd take haemphyst's advice.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
robbyrob717 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

The 170 amp alternator will treat you good.  Just don't sit at a stop sign playing a bass test.  Also its 1 farad for every 1000 watts.  if you can show me a 300 watt amp that will make your headlights dim then your drunk.  With a capacitor you can't play your system without the car running to charge it though because i high power amp like that would drain it quick. 

94 Pontiac Sunbird 3.1 V6
alpine deck
audiobahn 3.5 fronts w/ tweeters
audiobahn 6.5 rears w/ tweeters
* sold rest of system to save up towards new car. $3000 spent on it.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
I think you will be fine with what you have. I wouldn't buy anything else for now. And if you buy anything, I wouldn't buy a cap.
'85 Toy
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic