icon

motorola hands free car kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tow-up 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing a Motorola hands free kit in a 2004 Ford F-250. I have two questions.
There are two wires from the control box that travel with the postive and negitive. One is Green and is the ignition sense wire. It said it should be hooked to a source that will remain HIGH (not switched off) while the vehicle is cranking but will go low when the ignition is turned off. Does anyone know which wire would be best to use?
The second wire is Orange and is the entertainment Mute wire. The truck has the in dash 6 CD changer does anyone know what wire I should use from the radio?
Damon H
tow-up 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry this is a car phone installation
Damon H
tow-up 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
BTT
Damon H
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
I think the blue/green in the ign harness will give you a your ign sense in the truck.. The mute however on the motorola used to go to ground when the phone rang.. it's been a few years but I am sure they still operate that way.. look up the wireing on this site and find the mute wire on the back of the deck.. check to see if it goes to ground when you push the mute button, if it does just tap in.. the other route I have gone is to use a relay to drop out the ign sense on your deck.. ie phone rings the org wire goes to ground, energizing a relay that cut the ign wire on your deck thus no sound out of your radio until the phone is hung up...
Hymer
tow-up 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Hymer. The blue-green worked great. I will check the mute options.
Damon H
Mja1962 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have found that it's better not to connect the green IGN wire on these units.  The reason is that when the car is switched off, the phone will also shut off.  Personally, I would not want to have my cell phone turn off simply because the engine is off.  I think this is just a carryover from the days of installed car phones which stayed in the car all the time.  If you want to try it out without disconnecting the wire that you already hooked up, the wiring harness should have a fuse that can be removed.

-Michael

Derek Vella 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

red - permanent live

black - ground

blue/green - ignition

orange - radio mute

you would definitely be better off connecting the ign. wire as Motorola car kits are renowned for  draining the car battery, you can connect to perm. live , but beware the consequenses. You only have to change the settings in the phone menu, so the phone will not power down. The easiest way to find the mute is, eliminate the live cables with a circuit tester, get a fuse holder with 1amp or at most 2, with a small lenth of wire and just groung it to the radio casing trying each wire until you find the right one, I only having a limited knowledge of  U S vehicles, I'm not sure whether the radio has iso, quad lock or ford connectors, if there is a third plug on the back of the radio, not the power or speaker connectors, then the mute wire will probably be there, remember that the mute position may not have a wire connected to the plug

Derek Vella 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
oh yeah, just a quick PS  you can use the ign. wire on the back of the radio
Mja1962 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
Derek Vella wrote:

you would definitely be better off connecting the ign. wire as Motorola car kits are renowned for  draining the car battery, you can connect to perm. live , but beware the consequenses. You only have to change the settings in the phone menu, so the phone will not power down.

Derek,

I wasn't suggesting connecting the green wire to permanent +12V, but rather leaving it disconnected altogether.  I have had no problems installing 2 Motorola kits like this.  Is there any benefit to connecting the green IGN wire?  Also, it seems that some radios do not have a mute wire at all - my '05 Escalade for example.

-Michael

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic