icon

possible blue remote wire problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davidwh2 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

hey whats going on.   i just installed a Cd player and amp in my truck.  ive had everything hooked up for a week.  there wasnt the first problem.  tonight on the way home my amp stopped working.  i checked the fuse, it was fine, even put a new one in.  i checked all the cables, nothing is lose or disconnected, i even pulled my cd played to make sure the blue remote wire wasnt disconnected. 

after all this i noticed that when i start my truck, the amp turns on for a second then turns back off, i checked the ground and when i touch it to the ground it comes on but goes back off, so im not sure what it could be. a side note:  the amp wasnt hot, no wire terminals werent burned or melted. soo i dont know.  any help will be appreciated.

-dwh2-
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

grab a meter and meter your power and ground... do you have 12 volts on your blue remote wire?  do you have 12 volts on your amp main wire? does your ground connection meter as a good ground relative to the negative post of the battery or chassis?

shouldnt be too, too difficult to track down this problem......

BTW, dont  disconnect your ground when you still have the primary power cable hooked up.... thats just begging for disaster....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
davidwh2 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
thanks man, i will defintely take your advice.  umm the reason i was thinking it was the blue wire was because the amp will turn on, but goes right back off and that blue wire is a piece of crap anyway, with it only being 20 gauge and all.  well man im out, i guess ill let you know whats up after i test it.
-dwh2-
davidwh2 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
hey man i did all that tonight, all my wires have 12v, the ground is good, i even tried hooking up another blue wire, same problem.  i dont know whats giving me a hard time.  it just stopped working.  i even treid turning all the settings down, so it wasnt too loud or something then i un hooked the speakers and then hooked them up individual and still nothing, everytime time the cd player tries to use the amp, it turns back off, so im officially confused....
-dwh2-
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
jump a wire from your + on your amp to the remote and turn your radio on and see what happends..
2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
davidwh2 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
what happens if it starts working?
-dwh2-
davidwh2 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
and does it matter what size wire i use?
-dwh2-
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
same size as your remote, if it starts working, then the problem lies in either the remote wire, or the output. If  you find out that the output is bad, you can use a relay and tie into your ignition, and run it to your amp
2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004
4 Memphis Tweeters
1 Memphis 3-way electronic crossover
2 Memphis 5 1/4
2 Memphis 4s
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

^^^^^^ I agree.

But didn't you say you can touch your ground and the amp comes back on?  Cause you said when you touch it to the ground it comes on and goes back off. Sounds like a possible ground problem. Redo your ground and see if that works, or see if its corroded at the grounding point. Your ground point has to be free of any paint, rust, etc.

A bad ground will cause an amp to turn on and then fizzle out.

2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
davidwh2 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i double checked the ground.  i put the ground to the frame and i know the frame is a good ground, still nothing.  i jumped that wire across from the power to the remote, and nothing happened there either.  so i just dont know if the amp is bad, or something.   umm if there is anything else i can do please let me know.  well im out, thanks.
-dwh2-
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic