icon

Trunk setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, I'm doin a trunk setup for my friends 82 Monte Carlo. It's gonna hold (4) 12" Infinitys, and 2 Infinity amps. I'm gonna make a framwork around all the inside walls of the trunk, then work from there. One area which concerned me was around the hinge for the trunk lid. I dont know how to go about framing around that. I was thinking fraem a rough area, and if it still shows, maybe use some vinyl like a boot around the hinge or sumthing along those lines. Any other suggestions would be great. Here's a pic of the setup i'm goin for. The red areas are the areas Im not sure about.

Trunk setup -- posted image.

hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Rick James 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
How will you get the volume of those enclosures all to match?
What did the five fingers say to the face?
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

The two on the sides will be the same volume ( I'm hoping)..and the ones in the back will be the same volume. If I frame it properly, It should be the same. I'll use some packing styrofoam to measure how close they are..and if ones a bit bigger...just throw in some scrap wood to make up for the excess volume. Shouldn't be too bad. That's not my real concern.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
for the trunk hinges, , you can make a horseshoe kinda thing and have the hinges swing through there.   If you want it to be really clean, use some bristles, , like on the automatic shifters, , theres the black bristles.    You could just buy 2 cheap car brushes for cleaning the snow off your car, ,and take those bristles and transfer them onto the box.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

Ya I was thinking of a horseshoe type of deal. I think that'd work. Maybe vinyl over that to give it a clean look?

Alpine guy, you seem like you've done this before...got any pics of a trunk setup with the hinges done?

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
nope heven't done it, , but iv got miles of visions in my head haha
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
for the trunk hinges, , you can make a horseshoe kinda thing and have the hinges swing through there.   If you want it to be really clean, use some bristles, , like on the automatic shifters, , theres the black bristles.    You could just buy 2 cheap car brushes for cleaning the snow off your car, ,and take those bristles and transfer them onto the box.

You Can do like alpine guy said to do with the brushes. But incase you want more ideas to chose from here is one that i used on my buddies 98 honda civic that i fiberglassed completly 3 - 12'' alpine type r's.

What I done was made the box and where the hinges are I made a rectangle frame out of MDF (3'' X 8'') Or More Depending on how large the hinge is. Then go to a car parts (Auto Zone, Advance)place and get two shifter boots I just used the cheapest ones that they had. Streach the large end (bottom) around the rectangle frame and secure it in place with some staples then take the small end (Top) And run the frame through the shifter boot, then tie it off with the string on the boot makes a nice clean install. When The lid is open all you can see is the shifter boot when ever the trunck lid closes the hinge goes into the MDF frame.

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
hersheyloc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking of something like that, but making my own boot. Got any pics of the ride?
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
No Man Unfortuntly I don't but you don't have to make your own boot just get a cheap one from a car place and use them
If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic