icon

Remote Starter into a 2003 GMC Sonoma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robbbby 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I hope you guys can be of some assistance to me as I seem to be a little stuck. I'm not much of an electronics guy but I don't like letting other people work on my vehicle. I like the satisfaction that comes with doing something yourself and the knowledge that is gained.
That being said I have a 2003 GMC Sonoma and am trying to install a "Autostart" remote car starter.
My first problem is with wiring colours. I have found 2 or 3 different lists that all say different things. I guess i'll go by the one I found in the forums here.
From the bit of research I have done it seems this isn't just a splice and tape installation. Would I be correct in assuming that to complete this installation I will need..
Some sort of module or harness of sorts to bypass the "Pass Lock II" system?
A way to bypass the VATS (vehicle anti theft system). Requiring a resistor of the same resistance as the key to be installed inbetween the VATS module with a SPDT relay?
Also the other thing I noticed, that main harness for the remote starter has a fairly large gauge wire that needs to be hooked up to the starter. The starter wire is listed as being "yellow" at the ignition. On my truck there are 2 yellow wires but they are extremely small. One if probably 18 gauge and one is probably 16 gauge. I don't think I hook it up to either of those??
Any help/input would be appreciated. Thanks.
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
First of all, to answer most of your wire questions, use a DMM because always assume that a wiring chart is wrong.  You can use resistors or you can get a module to bypass the VATS system.  Hope this helps.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Your truck has Passlock II in it.   Buy a module to interface the remote starter with it. The truck may also have a factory content theft system (NOT VATS). to disarm the alarm you must pulse the light green wire in the purple plug of the BCM. The disarm wire for the autostart is usually WHITE/ green. To arm the alarm you need to pulse the driver's doorpin wire (Tan in end of driver's dash) with the rearm wire from the starter(WHITE/ brown) and at the same time pulse the lock wire in the truck. Program your unit for Securelock. As mentioned there are duplicate colored wires so you MUST use a volt meter to confirm what is what. Don't worry that some the thick wires go into smaller ones. Older cars didn't use a starter relay like your's does and needed thicker wires.
sparky
dfiddy 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
There are two smaller guage yellow wires. One of them is the starter wire and the other yellow is for your PK2...do not test with a test light. By doing so with a computer safe test light, you can actually cause the vehicle to go into lockdown. Meaning the Passlock system actually sees the resistance in the test light and you will not allow you to start the vehicle with the key. Thats when you leave the key in the on position for about 10 minutes...maybe more. Its only happen to me once, but once was enough for me to remember. Any other questions just ask yo.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic