icon

Melamine, Gloss Paint, or Laminate?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
I was reading the article in the november issue of mobile electronics and they have a great write up on the use of laminates... Well I decided to go to the home depot tonight to get some prices... I found a 4'x8' sheet to be about $50 but they only have frosty white not glass... Is spray painting MDF even possible, or even a good way to do it? What about melamine board, with the white laminate already glued on it? I already have the box made out of 3/4" MDF... The reason I ask is you will be able to see the inside lit with green neon. Anyone have any luck with any technique over another? I'd like the interior to be shiny and reflective but not show the reflection on the neon bulb, just the reflection of the glow... Do you think a gloss laminate will show the actuall bulb reflection? Or should I just go with the frost white they have instock?
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
As long as you primer the MDF board, you can paint with a gloss afterwards. If the finish does not have enough shine to it, you can then use clear plexiglass over it.
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Just Fiberglass the inside of the box With a thin coat sand, prime, paint, clear.

That way it will be the same color as the rest of the box. ( All Matching)

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
dont think about using malimine if you've ever handled that sh** it breaks like no other. i'd listen to the above suggestions, a sub ina malimine box would be a grenade of wood slivers if it got pounding. i've heard stories of plywood box's becoming shrapnel, malamine would be worse imo.
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
really?... sounds kinda scary, I knew a kid who did a box for a single type r 15" out of melimine but I never got to see it used... hmmm so it looks like its laminate vs. gloss white paint... So you're suggesting that I use 1 single thin layer of fiberglass resin, then let it dry then sand, primer, gloss white paint, and then clear coat? Sounds easy enough... i'd just like the interior to be shiny i'll probably use white caulking along the interior seams to keep the white theme going... Then hopefully paint over that to get the seams to shine white too. Do you think fiberglass will help seal up the box... even though its going to be ported...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic