icon

1 ohm stable

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
This is kind of a dumb question but i have always wondered this what in an amp makes it 1 ohm stable?  Sorry for the dumb question but i was really just curious
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Power supply I believe.
Paul
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
The more chrome you plaster on an amp, the lower the impedence it can handle 1 ohm stable -- posted image., at least thats what some companies go by
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

yah thanks man i dont even have the audiobahn anymore i just switched it today to a mtx amp so it match the subs and i may say it sounds hella loud so you do you have a real answer?

thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
im not sure, but im thinking it has something to do with the power supply, and the amps ability to get rid of heat fast. but i dunno, ill let the pros answer u on that one.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
nighthawkjw 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  

What makes the amplifier stable at 1 amp is the output stage of the amplifier.  Yes, the power supply is important, but the impedance matching of the amplifier is entirely dependant on the output stage.  In most amps, the output comes from a gang of MOSFETs, which have a great deal of forgiveness for mismatching of impedance (ohms).

It's like this - with no speakers, the load is infinite, or wide open.  Add one 8 ohm speaker and your load is that.  Add another in parallel (+ to + and - to -), and the load goes down.  The more you add, the closer you get to 0 ohms, or a short-circuit.  The best load is usually as close to what the amp is rated and no lower than the specs support.  The amp is made to work best at its suggested rating.

Another very important consideration when adding speakers is - the lower the impedance (load), the harder the amp works.  Think about a light bulb: lower wattage bulbs tend to last longer, brighter bulbs burn out quicker.  Your amp will last longer and run cooler when it is operating with the suggested load.  With that in mind, that 1 ohm load is going to make your amp push really hard if it has a suggested rating of 4 ohms (most standard rating) - but it will be stable!

Hope I haven't blown everyones minds!

Nighthawk
Wherever you go... There you are!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic