icon

Recommended 8 inch mid bass for doors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mitchyz250f 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

Can you recommend an 8 inch midbass for doors. I am looking for  clean, powerful midbass during low bass guitar notes. I have Boston Pro 6.5 in the doors now but will move them to the kickers. My amp is an Xtant 3300x.  I listen to Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Led and Metalica type of music. I am interested in sound quality only. I don't listen to Jazz or classical. Please recommend as mid/bass crossover also. 

Help.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

How much do you want to spend?  I use a set of Scan-Speak 18W/8531G 7" woofers for mid-bass and love them, but they retail for around $225 each.  There are many excellent 7-8" woofers available from companies like Morel, Audax, Vifa, Seas, Usher, Davis, Peerless, Eton, Adire, Beyma, JBL, Dynaudio, Dynavox, etc. etc. etc.  It all depends on your budget.  They can cost anywhere from $25 to $400 each.

If you plan to drive the mid-woofers as a 3-way matched to your Boston sets from the same amplifier, I recomend you build a seperate bandpass 2-way passive crossover for the midwoofer and send the high-passed signal to the Boston crossovers.  If you plan to seperately amplify the mid-woofers, I recomend a good electronic bandpass crossover.

Support the12volt.com
Mitchyz250f 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to spend between $50 & $80 each.  I was planning on using a passive crossover, crossing over at 300? 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a few good-sounding options in your price range.  I'd cross them closer to 600Hz.

Usher, Peerless, Adire, Vifa, Dayton.

Support the12volt.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
That is definitely going to be tough. 50-80 is not much especially if your upgrading from Boston's. I know Dynaudio makes fantastic midwoofers as well as Adire, but they might be a bit to pricy. If you like SQ, then these are the companies to go with. Let us know what you decide, but your budget is hard to go with.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  
mitchy, please pm me when you decide and install the 8's and tell me how they sound with the 6.5.  i am curious about how 8's would sound in the door
Mitchyz250f 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

I have decided that I will add the 6.5 or 8" mid bass to the kickers.  This involves a great deal less work that moving the mid bass drivers (8") to the door and building kickers for the mids.  My understanding is these mid woofers woofers would not have to be aimed in any particular direction. Is this correct?

Boston Acoustics has their own mid bass solution.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/support_car.asp

This system adds another 6.5" mid bass woofer to whatever full range system you have.  The mid bass is added to 300 Hz (passive crossover).  There are no crossovers added to your existing full range speakers.  The mid bass is added over whatever existing midbass the current full range speakers provide. 

Is this method a viable option? 

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
I think the best solution would be to use an electronic crossover, so the midbass is not added over the existing midbass, and to separately amplify the midbass.
I'm guessing an electronic xo and one of those drivers DYohn posted would be a MUCH better value than that Boston rig.
You can get a lot of nice drivers for $50-$80 each. You don't need expensive drivers to obtain great sound.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic