icon

polycrete?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
branvw 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
did anyone find out how to make the polycrete?
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

Not yet man i have been asking everyone that i know (except for one person) i will keep on trying to find out.

I will go ask him tommarow if I have any time since me and my girl have to go out christmas shopping (joy) He works at a new place that opened up about a month ( Ride Revolution the worlds second largest shop in the world) His name is Pete Major He is the best fiberglass expert that I Know He has been doing this for over 30 years and has won tons of national trophies for fiberglassing

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
hzemall 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Polycrete is actually a special type of concrete. Mobile Dynamics "borrowed" the name to call their version of a "shake mix".

A Shake mix is fiber glass resin and rage gold mixed together. The problem that I have found and slowly many others are finding is while it speeds up the sanding time and can be a strong product, the end result usually ends up warping if it is not framed well enough. Once it warps you are fubared, you can't fix it. Things should take the needed time to build them, if you cut corners it will come back to bite you in the ass.

Tim Baillie
Installer/Designer/Fabricator
Certified Autosound & Security
ndm 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
hzemall wrote:

Polycrete is actually a special type of concrete. Mobile Dynamics "borrowed" the name to call their version of a "shake mix".

A Shake mix is fiber glass resin and rage gold mixed together. The problem that I have found and slowly many others are finding is while it speeds up the sanding time and can be a strong product, the end result usually ends up warping if it is not framed well enough. Once it warps you are fubared, you can't fix it. Things should take the needed time to build them, if you cut corners it will come back to bite you in the ass.

so what do you think theliquid bone stuff is?

I cant think if what is....the only idea i  thought of is milled fiberglass mixed with resin.

what do you think?

do it right the first time ....or do it again and again and again...
branvw 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
This is what i have found over the weekend.  The resin and bondo mixture that we will call polycreate is good and is easy to sand, i also found it good to fill in areas and bumps as it self levels, yeah it can warp! so i so can fiberglass with too much hardner.  the best way to tackel the problem is do your clothing and glassing on the inside of the box if you can, use the polycreate mixture on the outside.  this will make the box strong and smoth with very little sanding 
hzemall 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

branvw wrote:
This is what i have found over the weekend.  The resin and bondo mixture that we will call polycreate is good and is easy to sand, i also found it good to fill in areas and bumps as it self levels, yeah it can warp! so i so can fiberglass with too much hardner.  the best way to tackel the problem is do your clothing and glassing on the inside of the box if you can, use the polycreate mixture on the outside.  this will make the box strong and smoth with very little sanding 

The best way is to do it right and not use it for structural installs, if you must use it as a filler, just use rage gold..........

Thats my opinion...............build your installs to last............not to be quick..........

Tim Baillie
Installer/Designer/Fabricator
Certified Autosound & Security
branvw 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
hzemall wrote:

branvw wrote:

The best way is to do it right and not use it for structural installs, if you must use it as a filler, just use rage gold..........

Thats my opinion...............build your installs to last............not to be quick..........

I agree with you on that, but i must admit i used the same amount of fiberglass on the box as usual the only thing that i found it to help was spreading the bondo smooth
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  
my question is- and I know this is probably real stupid and off of subject, but- the pics I have seen of mobile dynamics "polycrete" is white. I dont know if this is due to adding lots of talc, or? like I said though, sorry to get off subject I just wanted to know cuz I ALWAYS mix rage with my resin for my final "top" coat for a good finish, and its snotty green. peace
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
branvw 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

lathan wrote:
my question is- and I know this is probably real stupid and off of subject, but- the pics I have seen of mobile dynamics "polycrete" is white. I dont know if this is due to adding lots of talc, or? like I said though, sorry to get off subject I just wanted to know cuz I ALWAYS mix rage with my resin for my final "top" coat for a good finish, and its snotty green. peace

I know this one, the body filler that they used is a normal light weight filler not the yellow rage.  The normal non name brand will do the white.

lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
ahhh.. da-doyng-doyng-doyng!!! cool. thanks
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic