icon

amp installation question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lexmaster 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
I tried installing my amp by connecting the remote wire, power cable and the ground at the end but something shorted out. Does it matter if you connect the ground first or the remote first? Please help.
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
No, it should not matter. just make sure they are all connected before you turn it on, otherwise it will run in protected mode. What might be the problem, make sure you are grounded good enough, don't ground to paint or welds, it won't ground good, and could cause it to short out... or just not turn on and go in protect mode.
Duke Duke
ajgonzales 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

it doesn't really matter which wire you hook up first.

when you say "something shorted out" what do you mean? do you mean that you saw a spark when you hooked up the ground wire? if that's the case, you just forgot to unhook the battery cable.

xaudiopipex 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
hopefully you just blew a couple of fuses, not your amp
bomex_eclipse 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Go From check the conections at the battery terminal to make sure it is tight. Then Make Sure the power wire is hooked up tight in the amp, if the cable wire has all kinds of wires sticking out every where just cut the end of the cable and restripe the wire and twiste the wire.

Then check your ground wire make sure that it is NOT touching any paint. what i done in the past was one of two things the first was scrape the paint off in a small area and drill a hole put a connector on the end of the wire and bolt it to the floor. Or second I ran the ground wire to the rear strut tower and removed one of the bolts and connected the wire to it making a nice connection since there was no paint and there was a cover plate that covered the strut tower.

Next check your RCA connects and remote wire at the head unit and at the amp making sure they are pushed all the way in and secured in place.

If you are still haveing probles with it check your fuses on the amp, In line fuse, and some headunits have fuses on the backside for the pre amp.

If this does not work get back to me and we will see what we can do about it.

Good Luck,

Bomex_eclipse

If You Can Imagine It Glass It!
lexmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
i have a mmats class d amp but there are no fuses on the amp itself.  There is no on/off switch either.  I know the amp is turned on by the remote wire but now I don't know if the amp is shorted out or not.  When I originally connected the amp and it shorted, the smoke came out of the connecting terminal on the amp.  There were a few sparks before the smoke and I quickly disconnected the wires.  I've done installations before but I never had this problem.
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Sparks and smoke? Hmm..could be ur amp man. Smoke is definately not something you want coming out of an amp...do you have the power wire fused?
lexmaster 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

yeh, the power wire was fused

hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I think ur best bet is to unhook everything. Start from scratch, keeping in mind every post you've read. Make sure the ground is grounded properly, make sure ur RCA's are all hooked up properly and in wrking condition, check ur remote to make sure theres a connection, and make sure you're getting a good connection from the battery to the amp. If all fails, I dont know what else to say..could very well be ur amp.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic