MTX Amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chris_h 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I've read these forums for a while now, but this is my first actual post. Basically, I'm just looking for opinions on MTX amps, more specifically the MXA4001 class D. I've got a 12" MTX thunder sub RMS 150-300W, which has just been running off an old beater Power Acoustik, in a ported box. I'm building a custom fiberglass (sealed) enclosure, and I know I'll need some more juice for my sub as my beater amp is barely cutting it for a ported box. Granted that I don't have money (in university), I don't want to spend any more than $400 cdn on an amp, and the MXA4001 is about $350. Is this a good amp for the money, or is there a better match for this sub/better quality amp for this price?

Thanks. Chris

When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands
azidrane 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Its a kick ass amp for the price. I've installed this amp in to so many vehicles and it always makes everything sound awesome. For my money, best preformance:price ratio in this market.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
It should give you plenty of power and good sound. MTX amps are good quality.
'85 Toy
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, MTX amps are good quality. It should work out fine for you. Another amp company worth considering is JBL ( www.jbl.com ), as they make a fantastic budget amp. I know the GT0301.1 would be plenty of power and more, and it is less than that MTX amp by far. Check it out and let us know what you think!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
I love that amp, but in your case it may not be the way for you to go. You didnt point out whether or not the sub you had was dual voice coil or not. If its a single voice coil sub you should probally look at the MTX 4002 but if its dual voice coil then the 4001 is your baby. Reason why I say this is because if its single voice coil you will get more power out of the 4002 at 4 ohms as opposed to the 4001 at 4 ohms. But if it is dual voice coil then the 4001 is the one you want because the 4002 wont even run 2 ohm mono where as the 4001 loves it. I have been using these amps quite frequently so I have no problem suggesting them as they havent ever let me down yet.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
chris_h 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
My sub is a single voice coil, so I'll probably check out the 4002. Thanks for the advice guys.
When you step on the brakes your life is in your foot's hands

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic