icon

choosing an alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
porteeab 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Never installed, purchased or used an alarm... looking for advice.
The big three electronic stores in my area are offering the following "top shelf" models.
DEI Python 881XP $499 installed
Code Alarm 645   $390.98 installed
Viper 791xvr        $473 installed
I'm pretty certain the 791 and 881 are identical in function. both coming from DEI. I did a quick search on Code Alarm and am not impressed with my initial findings. Audiovox has never been a name of quality IMHO.
Any recommendation or input would be appreciated.
I'm looking for remote start, quality security, and keyless entry. Going in a '97 Ford Crown Vic.
4 cylinders and two tires
pken 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hi there,

I used CompuStar for five years now, and it's still working great. I just recently bought two new sets: CompuStar 2WSSR (for myself) and 2W900FMR (for my uncle). The 2WSSR range is remarkably awsome (up to 6000 ft in open field or half of that in residential area). I really love it. Their technical support isnt great. No wonder why I still have problem installing 2W900FMR on my uncle's car (Hyundai Elantra 02) lol :-)

My brother rather got Commando FM870T, now he complains about not being able to start his car as close as 200 ft away. The plastic encasement looks cheap, bulky, and the back led doesnt turn on unless you press and hold a button for couple of seconds (which is very inconvenience).

For my car, i have to unlock the driver's door first before i can remote start my car (otherwise the factory car alarm will go off). Compustar has this option just right for my car: it'll briefly unlock the door, then start the car, and finally lock the door -- all automatically (so i dont have to press a button to unlock the door, press another button to start the car, and then press a button again to lock the door).

I dont know if CompuStar ( http://www.compustar.org) and Magicar ( http://www.magicar.com/main.htm) are the same company (their products look identical). If you really want a high-end remote car starter, a South Korean company called Kopel makes the best (in my opinion). I got a price quote directly from the company ( http://www.kprokorea.com/p1-kr7000.htm) for $250 (shipping included). I'm not sure if it's legal to use in U.S -- the range is over 6 miles :-)

pken 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a closer look of Kopel remote starter. It's in Korean language, and i dont know what they say, but the pictures can tell me something about it. When you get there, just scroll all the way down, and you'll see the remote in closer look at different angles :-)

http://www.carstart.co.kr/bemarket/shop/page_cate_main.php?list_mode=L&part_code=101001001&uid=6982

TriOptimum 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
That 6 mile range sounds very cool :). I can't find mention of the company anywhere though; where did you hear about them?
I like how the remote has 'have a nice day' on it... I wonder if it displays then when your cars being stolen? ;)
The stereo place down the street from me had similar prices, about $400 installed, for 2500ft ranged ones. Unfortunately I can't find anyone else who will install anytihng other than what they have in store :(. I need mroe than 2500ft range (I assume it's less than that throug walls and parking lots).
porteeab 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Again,
wondering if anyone can comment on these specific models or installed prices.
Thanks
TriOptimum 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I have no idea on any of them really. I assume you've googled them?
I know audivox is a cheaper offering, and I know myself I'd never buy any audiovx product, everything I've bought fom them has been junk. DEI and Viper are different brands of what appears to be the same OEM remote, but they aren't the same company to my knowledge, they are each seperate companies with seperate customer support, who just re-sell the same rmeote system, so I would research it and find which one has better support.
I've been looking at asianwolf alarms. I don't know much except his site has been around for years, and he also resells DEI alarms. He has some prety cool ones and all of his (I don't know abou the DEI though) use a standard wiring harness so they can be upgraded or repalced easily.
Image6902 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

If you want a good remote start/alarm combo, check out the Ultrastart 4560 fm 2way. for the money, this is the best bang for the buck. ultrastarters.com has a listing of authorized installers to hook you up. it has a few cool features that i'm pretty sure most units don't, but they're options you'll actually use.  temporary shock sensor/aux sensor bypass through remote...shock sensor programming through remote. very nice if using a proximity sensor but don't want it armed all the time. it goes for close to what the dei pieces go for installed, but makes for a cleaner install because all relays are on board.

I tell it like it is...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
Compustar is the way to go, it is a solid piece of gear that was desinged and built by guys in Alaska that are now based in Seatle. They are an installers friend and as a dealer fr many years, the tech support for a dealer is outflippinstanding. As I am a Canadian and most of the guys that install these things in this area of the forum are Canadian (or so it seems) our pricing on equipment and install is totally different than what you would expect to pay in the US. Find a good installer, this is the key to a bunch of spaghetti firetrap or a proper install. Anyone can quote a price, but you get what you pay for.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
porteeab 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
Alright guys, thanks for your time.
TriOptimum 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
I can't find a dealer who sells compustar; their website doesn't list them, they want you to email or call... ><. I've heard they don't have good tech support from about 4 people as well... but they seem to have some unique (and nice) features. I guess if I can find a dealer to install it and not have ot deal with their tech supporti t might be ok.
Here's the one I'm probably going to get, just for the features (add ons include a siren you can put mp3's on to make your own siren noise, and a camera that sends pictures to your remote if your alarm goes off):
http://www.asianwolf.com/5100rs/8000RS_Deluxe.html
As for the kopel, it is really tempting me, because of the 6 mile range (but don't tell the FCC!). Has anyone ever dealt with the company or better yet installed/used one?
Where did you email them, pken? I can't find an email address in the page, it keeps trying to make all the characters Japanese (have the language set on here) and everything get's scrambled up ><. Or is there a dealer in the US/Canada?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic