icon

Intermittent No-Crank with PKF-3?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mja1962 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

I recently installed a remote start in a 2005 Grand Marquis, and have experienced an intermittent "no-crank" problem.  My connections are all soldered, and I am pretty confident that the problem is not in the installation, though of course that is a possibility.  I have replaced the remote start unit with a known good unit, and now suspect either the PKF-3 from Trilogix, or possibly a bad relay.  My question is: has anyone experienced problems with this bypass unit? 

Thanks for any assistance,

Michael

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
i have the pkf-3 on my 04 expedition and it has never acted up...works perfect........how often does it act up????
have you tried to leave the key in the ign. and test it?????
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
Mja1962 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

Of course, when I check it out, the unit works.  (It's on my Mom's car).  According to her, it works less than 50% of the time.  I need to also check for "operator error" as a possible cause. LOL!   I am on my way to check it out; I'm beginning to suspect a problem with the wiring - maybe a loose connector.  Even though everything's soldered, there could be a flaky relay or relay socket.  Should be a fun afternoon!  If nothing else, at least my mom will feed me!  I'll post my findings after I (hopefully) fix the problem...I will also try remote starting with the key in as you suggested, David.  Thanks.

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
you know after 17 yrs of doing alarms, the only ones that have the most problems are always FAMILY! lol lol
good luck.....
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
Mja1962 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

draasch wrote:
you know after 17 yrs of doing alarms, the only ones that have the most problems are always FAMILY! lol lol
good luck.....

You are so right!  Even though I don't install full-time, it's always the family members which cause the biggest headaches.  I have been installing alarms, remote starters & other stuff in my own vehicles as well as for friends & family for about 20 years.  I also had a summer job during college at a shop in Queens, NY.  But the remote start in my brother's Lexus RX300 was the absolute worst!

Mja1962 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

Well, here's what I did:

1. Re-programmed the PKF-3

2. Removed a relay which was connected to IGN1 and providing "Ground out when running" to the PKF-3,  and connected a dedicated "Ground out when running" to the PKF-3 (I wasn't aware that the starter I was using had a dedicated "ground out when running" because the manual incorrectly identified the wire as a 1-second pulse only.)

3. Checked every wire & connection to verify that the install was solid.

4. Crossed my fingers!

So far, so good.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic