the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Why are ports louder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent posts by haemphyst, DYohn and kfr01...thorough, comprehensible, and original.  This thread is going into my bookmarks for future reference.

And oh, poorman, please credit sources when quoting.

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  

Man those are some insane responses, sorta what I had hoped for, I will now always be able to use this as a reference which is awesome.  I think it will take me about a week to read through these 50 more times and completely figure them out.

audiobass - I based my guess of 150 off of my own system, the previous owner is a friend of mine who manages a local shop, he competed at one of their shows last year and had it metered at 156.7db.  These type r's arent as deep as mine and now quite as loud, but they are pretty close, so I just assumed it, even if hes hitting 10db less than me (which I doubt), then its still a VERY impressive number.  I could be hearing bad, or the previous owner of my system could have lied to me (which I really doubt, other people saw him compete), there are a few things that could have impaired my guess, which are all very possible.

I did not know about how important a subsonic filter was on a ported system (just thought it was somewhat recommended), maybe I should set one up for him, dont want to blow those subs.  Haemphyst - incredible post, honestly, just amazing how helpful that one is to understanding it all, sorta confusing how your engineer friend lost you in that stuff cause you really seem to know it; I did know about the high excursion subs not necessarily being louder, I just typed it as something to compare to so I wouldnt get flamed saying it was the loudest setup humanly possible in that car.

dyohn and kfr01, thanks for the input, you guys just further helped with the insane amount of information given by haemphyst, you guys always have great advice.  Im somewhat surprised to not have heard from Steven, hopefully he'll come by and elaborate even more on this one.  Thanks a lot guys please keep any information coming, this has been a great thread so far.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
Is that 156.7 in outlaw or controled competion rules?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
"shaking his head"   I am getting really tired of people posting #'s that are on some weak mic like the audio control or anything like that.   A 157.6 anywhere in front of the b pillar would take any stock class in usaci at finals!    with the audio control that more around a 146db, let along where it was metered
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Xracerx 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

He is some stuff on the whys and hows from Audio Box Design.

Now, as to the pros and cons of the closed box system. They are relatively easy to build. They will tolerate some inaccuracy, with little degrading of sound quality. They achieve excellent transient response (damping ) with the addition of absorbent material. The one big minus for the closed box is the need for consid-

erable power to get much volume in return. We measure efficiency by the ratio of watts in, ( electrical ), to watts out, ( acoustical ). This is where the closed box falls flat on its face. We only consider the radiation from the front of the driver as being beneficial and try to retard that which is being radiated from the rear. The cone moves in two directions. Why throw half of the sound away. This leads us to our next, and possibly most popular, enclosure, the vented, bass reflex, type. Instead of throwing away the rear driver radiation it combines it with the front. These two components of driver movement produce a considerably more efficient system. We can thank, in part, a gentleman by the name of " Helmholtz " for dis-
covering that a certain volume of air, when excited, resonates at a specific frequency. This principal is what a bass reflex system takes advantage of. Smaller, fixed, volumes of air can have the frequency varied with the use of a duct, tube, added to the vent opening. In the, not to distant, past it was believed that the volume of the enclosure had to be increased so the vent was equal in area to the piston area of the low frequency driver(s). The one factor, either not considered or mis-understood at the time, was the velocity of air in the port or vent. As the size of the vent decreases or the length of the duct increases the velocity of the air within them increases. Most design criteria measures this velocity as a percentage of the speed of sound. If this is kept below 5% it is not considered detrimental. That is to say, for the most part, it is in-audible. If the velocity is allowed to increase much beyond this threshold it starts to produce harmonic components of its own. A loudspeaker system is supposed to be a transparent device. As soon as it adds its own sound to the mix, it no longer is.

In the past 25 years or so loudspeaker enclosure design has, technologically, caught up with the times. An Australian by the name of AN. Thiele has brought order out of chaos. His formula, for the design of vented enclosures, has made the design of vented systems an achievable goal for almost anyone. Those of us a bit daunted with the mathematics involved can, with an affordable computer, both design and construct very respectable speaker systems. The programs available are numerous and priced reasonably enough to allow you to pick and choose. The program considered the best, unfortunately, has failed to take advantage of the newest and most accepted operating systems. Some of the other programs, including the least expensive, have. There are very few programs that include a C.A.D. component. The one, we have found, that does is called " Term-Pro " and is marketed by " Wayne Harris Enterprises " in Mesa, Arizona. We have about four basic enclosure design programs which we use. We always use at least two on a design as a double check for errors.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

Hey haemphyst, I'm going to have my boss post as I think you are leaving some things out of your comments like enclosure effects on the efficiency as well as extention.  But he's much better at explaining things than I, and should provide a better description. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
That's fine, BUT, in my own defense, I DID say that "the doubling of power adds three dB is a grand oversimplification". Why are ports louder? - Page 2 -- posted image. I also didn't mention cabin gain, room boundries, and all of the other things that do to a great extent affect and effect the efficiency and overall output of a driver in a given enclosure at a given frequency and or bandwidth...
Tell him to be gentle... LOL!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

I guess I like to come at it from an actual application point of view.  In this case, efficiency is pretty much meaningless to the end user due to all those things you mention.  After all, if efficiency was so important, then every car audio company would be building highly efficient subs.  I actually commented about this a while ago in this thread: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=41809&KW=efficiency+adire&PN=0&tpn=1 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

... and one reason why subs with too high efficiency are NOT too popular in car audio is the successful marketing efforts that have created a false demand for "high power."  I don't need to tell most regulars on this forum about the millions of idiodic consumers who say things like "Man, that thing is a 2000 watt sub!  Dude, that's GOTTA be loud!"  People have been sold the idea that higher power listings = "better."  That's why almost every consumer-level company advertises "max" or "peak" power ratings, and why the most unscrupulous outright lie.  There is no law or industry regulation currently in place to prohibit slapping "1000 watts!" in big letters across a piece of garbage that will smoke and fry with 1/5th that, and if an amplifier can sustain 1000 watts for 1ms, then by golly it's gotta be a 1000 watt amplifier! And then there is the demand to keep things small...

Electrical efficiency, mechanical compliance, overall system efficiency and accuracy are scrapped for the sake of big power numbers.  It's sad.  I've metered my ESS AMT1b towers at 124db between 45Hz and 18KHz with 100 watts input.  And it was flat within 1db (IEC C weighting) from standard.  That kind of efficiency and accuracy is my goal in my car applications....

I look forward to the impending discussion of high excursion VS efficiency and woofer area.  Should be fun.  I never considered them seperately, actually, and look for that fine balance!

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic