the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Is a DC to AC Inverter safe for Laptops?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
'04 Z71 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to figure out if a DC to AC power inverter is safe to use with my laptop.  (I have read some other posts that suggest building a DC to DC convertor and skip all the inefficiencies, but I am still curious about this....)

I bought a 350W inverter to use in my pickup off the cig lighter to recharge cordless tool batteries and my laptop.  The inverter won't charge my laptop with my truck engine off as it 'resets' for low voltage after about 15 seconds.  (Note: Laptop AC to DC converter puts out 150W DC and has an input of 225W AC)  When the truck is running it is fine.  I thought there might be a problem with the inverter so I checked the output voltage and it was ~ 96VDC.  I checked a buddy of mines (in my truck with the same meter) and it was 110 VDC.  I was guessing I didn't have a true RMS meter after checking my inverter, but now I really don't know what to think.  I understand that the 60HZ output from most inverters is a modified square wave and not true sinusoidal like household AC.  Will this modified square wave have a destructuve effect on the AC to DC power supply/chargers for my tools and laptop?

If I'm going to destroy something, I'd rather take the time to build Dc to DC convertors. 

Xracerx 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
The inverter is the problem. Laptops need 108~115 volts to work right. The cheap inverts are cheaper cause there junk. You can pick up a Husky 750constant, 1500 watt starting load for around $70.00 at home depot.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Inverters are fine to use, it won't harm anything in your PC. The cheap ones will cause the problem you are having... A good one will have a direct connection to your battery ( cleanest DC source) and a trigger to turn it on.. It's the old saying.. You get what you pay for..
You can always conntect the PC mfg lots of them offer 12v chargers...
Hymer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic