icon

pulsing sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kilj00y 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
just installed a 10" rockford punch 2 in my girls car and the amp powers up, then the sub basically pulses til the headunit powers up, then continues to play , but still has the repetetive in , out in, out. kinda hard to descibe...like it extends all the way out then back in like its turned up REALLY loud.
i dont think its a grounding issue (may be wrong, only installed a few systems...)
think its the amp going out, or any other ideas? its a memphis 300w amp, tried it normal and bridged.
rcas are ran down the opposite side as the power and remote (remote is with the power)
head unit is a kenwood 979.
any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
kilj00y 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  
also the protect light only lights up for a sec when the amp is powered up.
kilj00y 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 4:18 AM / IP Logged  
well just an update for anyone else... i used a bolt on the rear seat instead of the hole i drilled for a ground. dremeled around the hole and used a washer. everything seems to be in working order for now. ill keep ya updated on how it works out.
kilj00y 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  
well... i changed the ground and everything was good... went to the car this morning and it starts again... even before the radio is on. any one have any advice on what to do?
should i run the remote wire along side the rcas instead? is the amp going out? anything to test?
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  

I can't be certain, but it sounds like you're describing a loose/defective connection with the rca's.  It's a booming sound right?  There's a way you can check.  Unplug the rca's from the head unit and touch both the left and right tip with your fingers (with the power on).  You should hear a booming sound (interference) caused by your finger.  If this is the same sound then you need to look carefully at the ends of your rca's, because they might be no good.

Now you mentioned that it started pulsating before you turned the radio on...  was this after you turned your ignition on?  If not then I'm afraid you've got me stumped as to what the problem could be, providing all of your connections are secure.

kilj00y 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
it very well could be the rcas (although they were from a NEW rockford wiring kit ...) ill check the connections and see if it improves.
kilj00y 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
well everything is working again... the rcas didnt make a snug connection on the female rcas on the headunit. i slightly crimped the male cups to fit a bit more snug. ploblem solved :D
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
Nice to hear.  Interesting that you'd mention the rockford rca's.  I've found that I have had problems with them as well....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic