the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Best way to mount plexi window 4 sub box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
What would be the best way to mount a lexan "tank" in the backside of my sub box? The woofers and port will be facing forward into the car and you will be able to see the magnets through the tank that will be lit with a bubbler inside... I am thinking of cutting a hole in the back of the box to flush mount the tank into and then another piece of 3/4" mdf screwed to the back as a vanity plate that will have a smaller viewing window and be routered and covered with (vinyl, cloth, paint... etc) Anyone have any ideas since I have never done the whole lexan window thing yet? Thank You!!
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2004 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
uh.....tank?  Now please remember I'm a white male from the middle of no-where Georgia so don't laugh too hard.  But.... Tank?  Fish tank?  Bubbler?  Please forgive my ignorant white @ss.
BoominRolla 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
hahahah its ok I should of been more specific. I too am a pale one from new england... I am installing a tank to hold liquid and a aquarium bubble maker to make bubbles in the back of the sub box to give the woofer magnets the effect that they are under water... Any ideas how to mount this with frame work or what not??? Thank you!!
spl-Hz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

Your idea of the vanity plate sounds good. What I would attempt is instead of screws which after time might rust or leak would be to use a high gradev two part epoxy to bond the lexan to the wood and then screw the plate down to the box. Also this would make it easier to service. No screws to come in and out of the plexi. Just a Thought.

Ryan. Automotive Stereo & Alarm

BoominRolla 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Right, sounds great! I'm thinking of making the "tank" screwing it all together then inserting it into the frame work and then siliconing all the edges prone to possible air leaking out of the box with a nice bead of clear silicone Then screwing my vanity plate onto the outside pannel of the box to make it nice and neat...  Kinda like sandwiching the tank inbetween the frame work and the vanity plate then siliconing all possible leaky edges of air... THANKS SO FAR!!!
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

just curious...what kind of difference is there when a sub magnet thinks its underwater or not?

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
its all about the AWWWW factor, , it makes dumb people drool, lol  And thats the goal.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
BoominRolla 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
hahaha Thank You Alpine Guy, I saw it once on an episode of ripleys believe it or not where I believe a guy with 2 old scgool rockford power dvc's had the same kinda idea going on and I thought to myself... I'm gonna try that some day... If it works, then my goal was accomplished. If not then i'm a failure out $200... Big deal... I just wanted to try it... Plus my box is like 4.6 cubic feet and I need it closer to 4.0 so SOMETHINGS gotta help take up some extra space...
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
lol.....It makes the subs pound twice as loud right *wink *wink....cant wait to see some pics cause i dont get quite how it will look....seems kind of odd when i try to picture a rectangle box with bubbly water and seeing a sub magnet in it...lol...so i think i'm definitely gonna need to see some pics.  Well, either way, good luck with the installation, hope all goes well.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah man get us some progress pics up, so we can see where you are now and all the way through.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic