icon

Best way to bond 1/2'' lexan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Ok As some of you may know my idea to make a "tank" out of 1/2" lexan just to hold a bubble maker for an effect purpose only... I have asked some people but have gotten many different answers... When WORKING WITH LEXAN NOT PLEXI... Am I suposed to pre drill the edges and screw it together?... I've also heard 2 part epoxy... I'm thinking every 3" apart? that should do... then lay a nice bead of silicone in each hole before I put the screw in... Then lay a bead of silicone along every inside seem. Then make a hold for my pump tube incommingand seal that inside and out... then make a hole i'm thinking 1/2" for exhaust bubble gas pumped in... the bubble wand is 20" long by maybe 1/4" in diameter. Do you think the box will leak from turning around corners if I have the exhaust tube placed in the top center of the tank? Also I won't fill it to the top i'll probably leave a 1" air gap at the top... I'll go over all the outside seems with the silicone also to ensure the best "leak proof seal" possible...  THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!!
pfitz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

As long as your edges are straight, a little silicone bead should seal it up nice.  You absolutely should pre drill the Lexan, and I have found that heating the screws up before screwing them in almost tight, than come back after it is cool and give them another 1/2 twist sets them in pretty good.

slab42 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
one thing, in case you already don't know, dont use water, you will have to maintain it.  use baby oil, its clear, and bubbles flow just like water!
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
lol... <--- Pround parent of 10 20 oz. bottles of baby oil... I was already told ahead of time but I'm glad to see it again to make sure that its the right thing to use. Its kinda like that millionaire show where they poll the audience... The more answers I get that are the same... The more it makes sense to do what was said...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic