Crimestopper RS900VII, 2003 Dodge Dakota

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fortisi876 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all!

First, I wanted to say thank God for the internet and forums like these, many yrs ago we didnt of have a source for reliable information!!!

Ok, I just installed a remote starter (RS900VII) in my 2003 Dodge Dakota that I finally got to work today (after a few days of fooling here n there). For the past day, I was gong nuts thinking I still had something wrong with the wiring when all along it was an antenna/remote problem. My starter will not kick on unless Im holding the remote literally TWO INCHES away from the antenna. I tried moving the antenna just for kicks and it didnt do anything. I just got this unit in the past week Im thinking it might be the batteries in the remote but I kinda find it hard to believe BOTH remotes have weak batteries but ya never know I suppose they could of had a bad batch I suppose.

Im just curious if anyone has ever had a similiar problem???

TIA!

fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

Anyone???

This freaking thing is gonna kill me! Crimestopper RS900VII, 2003 Dodge Dakota - Last Post -- posted image.

UPDATE:

I tried cleaning the battery contacts, no improvement really. However, bringing the remotes in from the cold lastnight seemed to extend the range to a whopping 3 feet now. I checked the voltage and Im getting a reading of arnd 18+ volts with the original batteries.......is there a way to get a reading from them under load? Im wondering if these batteries 'appear' to be good but fall off big time under load.....does this make any sense?

TIA!

dedlyjedly 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

naw, it definitely sounds like an antenna problem.  luckily its a pretty simple thing to test, go to your dealer and ask them if you can try another, s hould just be plug and play unless you went crazy w/ the electrical tape.

im a crimestopper dealer and have seen bad antennas before, but they've all been damaged during install, nothing doa

you've got the three 6v batteries stacked, so your voltage is good, work on the antenna

MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

dedlyjedly wrote:
you've got the three 6v batteries stacked, so your voltage is good, work on the antenna

Thnx for your input! But you lost me with the 3 6v batteries stacked? My remote only has one 12v battery.

dedlyjedly 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
i appologize, i briefly confused one of my crimestopper with an astrostart that i also carry. it uses 3 batteries. bottom line-check the antenna
MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

I believe you are correct sir!

It turns out the batteries are not only fine but for the hell of it I put in a brand new battery and nada!

I bought this freaking unit online or otherwise I would of went back to the dealer to try swapping antenna's. Crimestopper RS900VII, 2003 Dodge Dakota - Last Post -- posted image.

fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

FWIW: I briefly spoke with a crimestopper tech guy this evening and thought Id share his thoughts with those of you who might care.

According to him the antenna is fine, if anything he thinks its the remotes or module itself. So I alerted the dealer, packed up the module, remotes & antenna and off to FedEx tomorrow. Crimestopper RS900VII, 2003 Dodge Dakota - Last Post -- posted image.

I sure as sh*t better not have the same problem when I receive the next unit!!! I cant think of any other reason why I had this problem soooo Ill have to keep my fingers crossed. Crimestopper RS900VII, 2003 Dodge Dakota - Last Post -- posted image.

fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

I forgot to mention why he thinks the antenna is fine......he said if the antenna was malfunctioning it wouldnt work at all. Crimestopper RS900VII, 2003 Dodge Dakota - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic