icon

Astro Flex starters, Any quirks?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am possibly hooking up with a new shop in my area who deals in Astro Flex rem. starts. I have had a lot of exp with the DEI stuff but am fairly new with the Astro lproduct. I have done about 5 of these units and havn't had any problems with them, however they have been in relitivly basic vehicles. My question is : Is there any quirks with these units. I know other installers at my current shop bitch about them constantly (programming) but we just switched over to them from DEI and we don't do a ton of rem starts. Any info would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks
Hymer
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Once you have installed AstroStarts for a little while, you will never want to install any other brand.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah, and programming is the best I have ever seen. It is so easy, and it is even easier with the Multi-Test tool which programs the units through the antenna wire so no need to access the brain. I assume it is much like the Bitwriter from DEI, but I have never seen a bitwriter, just heard about it.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Hymer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard this from several techs.. Cool anyhow where can I get a hold of this multi test tool? Like I said I've done a few of these and thought they where pretty straight forward once I got through the way the manual words things. What about the reliability of the astro software (schemo's) so far I havn't had any problems with them but I am sure there are a few, just like anything elses. well any opinions anyone else has would be great..
Thanks again guys..
-Hymer
dedlyjedly 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

good product to work with, very good technical support. i've had some of my installers complain about install difficulty, but i think it was more a case of getting used to the equipment and procedures than anything else. once it's in, you'll love programming and upkeep!

you have to purchase the multi-test from astrostart

MECP certified, 5yrs experience, you probably otta listen bitch!!
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
I've never installed anything but ASTRO FLEX. I've been doing this professionally for 2 years and like jrilla said I wouldn't want to install anything else besides ASTROFLEX. I love their tech support guys who can identify a problem with you and walk you through the real difficult ones until the vehicles issue is cured... I've had Steve, Andre, and Patrick on the phone for 20 minutes sometimes trying to figure out situations that I wasn't familiar with... The Multitest II tool can be purchassed through your ASTROFLEX rep. Personally I think once you've memorized programming (i.e. Dip Switches 3,4,8 step on the brake=18 min run time on gas vehicles. Dip switches 1,5,6 step on the brake= 6 cylinder setting for 6 cylinder vehicles. Dip switches 1,4,6,7,8 step on the brake= Accessory programming for P2 onboard relay) I've tried to use the multitest II tool for programming but I think it can be done just as fast by using the switches... The multitest II tool does walk you through everybit of programming so if you need the unit to do 2 unlock pulses then you just hit enter (instead of moving switches and pressing on the brake) Or if you need your programmable output #1 to do parking lights instead of pulse before then you can select that instead of looking it up in the installation manual...  So you can probably accomplish alot of programming if your doing a fully loaded multi programable output using diesel truck or something but for your basic 3-4 programing sequence vehicles it really dosen't save ALOT of time... But it is cool for diagnostics... Another cool thing about ASTROFLEX is  that the security bypasses plug directly into the main module to get their respective signal such as 12v+, ground, or ground when running... So there are minimal external connections to make which = less problems down the road... Also I love their bypasses for jeeps, gm pickups 2003+ all alarm, lock and unlock controls are 1 wire into the diagnostics plug and then plugs directly onto the unit... So 5 mins of labor can get you an extra $60 ($30 for the module and $30 for labor or whatever your shop charges?) Overall as you might be able to tell... I LOVE THESE UNITS!!!!!  
Hymer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the input guys, as it turns out I will be doing a buttload of these. Since they canned our head mobile electronics guy yesterday, I get to install, train our line guys and retail guys and take over in that area.. Anyhow thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have quite a few questions, but hey, I know where to go for the right answers!
You guys are the best group I've found yet...
Hymer
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
You guys are all correct....these are BY FAR the easiest to install.....and the tech support is second to none.  BUT,  be cautious. in the astrochart ....if ther are NO PICTURES, the guys at astroflex have not done THAT CAR. Get other tech notes and compare them. Be safer than sorryAstro Flex starters, Any quirks? -- posted image.
mnviking28 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
I have installed several different brands.  Some good, some bad.  I have done everything from DesignTech, Harada, Alpine, and Bulldog.  I installed my first 4 astrostarts with no problem (three 2106's and an 803).  However, now I have an issue that I can't seem to figure out.  Did they change something on the new models this year?  I have tried to install one in my own vehicle ( a '90 Jeep Cherokee) and one on my sister-in-law's '02 Alero.  I have tried the 2106 and the 2205.  Both vehicles are automatic, both should have been fairly straight forward (especially the Jeep).  However, when I complete the installation, the unit will not take over in continuous mode nor will it crank.  Do they have something new as far as a sensor or something that I am not getting hooked up that is making it not work? I noticed that the suffix on the box has changed to a "U" this year instead of an "XR" like last year.  It will learn the tach signal, the door locks will work, but I can't get anything out of the ignition function.  What gives? 
MNViking28
jrilla 
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Look in your install manual at level 16 programming. The default is manual transmission mode so you need to have a manual transmission kit plugged in and installed for the remote start to work. But since you have an automatic you can just program level 16 to automatic, then learn the tach if you haven't and you should be good to go. I bet you have 19 flashes on the LED after attempting to remote start. That is the code for no manual transmission module plugged in.
Just so you know, the U after the model number just means that you can add an alarm and/or a manual transmission kit.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic