icon

Crossover issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
Two big ones here. Firstly, I just need to know how to build the damn things to start with. Though I have an extensive electrical knowledge, i've never really fiddled with this sort of thing. My cousin says what I want to do may not be possible. I have a four Planet Audio 400 * 4. I have two 6x9's on 3 and 4. On 1 I want my 5 1/4 and a tweeter. Same on Channel 2. I need links, directions, what ever you got. No matter how hard I search Yahoo. etc., all I get is crap from them.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, for your 5-1/4 and tweeter you will need to buy or build a passive 2-way crossover.  If you want to build them yourself, here are some places to start:

Basic concepts... Next step up in understanding...  Component selection charts... A bit more advanced.... P arts Express is a good place to purchase components.  They also sell pre-fab 2-ways crossovers that might work for you if you want to just buy something and go.

Cheers and good luck.  I really enjoy building passive crossovers.  The key is to know the capabilities and characteristics of the speakers, especially the tweeter you plan to use, and to not be afraid to experiment and make changes if you don't like the way it sounds.

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
It would be well worth your time, in my opinion, to buy this book: The Loudspeaker Cookbook. Amazon it.
Some of these sites can help too:
http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover2.html
http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/xoorder.htm
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/crossover.html
Damn Firefox doesn't auto insert links like IE. Well, you can cut and paste, eh?
Good luck.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn,

These passive crossovers, I can hook them in AFTER amplification, or no? Cause what it appears to me that I need to do(i'm prolly wrong) is send it through the crossover after the amp, so that I can keep it so my 6x9's can keep their channels. I was given a crossover, but it accepts one pair in, and gives two pair out (high r&l, Low r&l). It has Rca jacks for all ins and outs. I would prefer to build it, cause I like building things, and It would allow me to completely tailor to what ever may system needs.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, passive crossovers are speaker-level devices.  They are part of the speaker circuit and connect "after" the amplifier.  What you have sounds like an ACTIVE crossover, which is designed to split the low-level signal from a pre-amp (your head unit) to two seperate amplifiers.  Either way will work, but I prefer to use passive crossovers for simple component-type installations like you intend.  Besides, a properly designed passive crossover sounds better to me than an electronic active crossover, but perhaps that's just me.  :)  kfr01's links are very good resource material as well.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic