icon

Wiring Sirius 2 car power source

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
inphilly 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

I am considering wiring my newly purchased Sirius receiver/cradle directly to my car’s power source rather than using the cigarette lighter component. The problem is that I have never attempted any vehicle wiring and do not know where to begin. My questions are as follows: Do I need an additional component to replace the cigarette lighter attachment that came with my cradle or can the wires from this component be directly connected to a power source if I remove the cigarette attachment and expose the wires? Where is the best place to access my car’s power supply and how is the best way to make the connection? Overall, is there a manual or set of instructions for wiring a satellite receiver directly to a car’s power supply an bypassing the cigarette lighter as the power source all together? BTW, my car is a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe.

Thanks.
brianrwebb 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

this is a piece of cake, all you need i need to know to help you is, what Sirius plug-and-play receiver/car adaptor dock are you using, as different models use different levels of voltage to operate.

the Audiovox/Clarion/JVC/Kenwood/ and Sportster all use 12VDC to operate, where as the Blaupunkt uses 7.4VDC which the cigarette adaptor adjusts the incoming 12VDC from the car for, and the Xact XTR1 uses 6VDC downconverted from 12Volts.

if it is any of the first units described, they use 12VDC straight up, no converter needed, all one needs to do is take the cig lighter adaptor and cut it off completely, leaving nothing but the 2 wires (positive/negative) and the car dock's adaptor plug on the other.

to safely attach this to your car, it is best to attach an in-line fuse holder on the positve lead to hold the fuse that is in the nipple of the cig lighter adaptor, this can be purchased at RadioShack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F004%5F004%5F000&product%5fid=270%2D1238

then take the postive lead after soldering the fuse holder in-line and attach it to the switched power wire on your vehicle radio harness. on a 2000 Honda Accord this is: WHITE/ black

then take the ground lead, and attach it to the ground terminal of the radio power harness: this should be black, unless the Accord has a ground behind the dash. i have never worked on a 2000 model year accord. having a digital voltohm meter would be nice to have here, just for comfort.

i'll post here my XM modified cig lighter adaptor, just so you can see what it would look like to modify one yourself. take in account, this is a 12VDC to 6VDC converter adaptor, like the Blaupunkt or Xact XTR1.

any other questions, just ask here or email. mrbrianrwebb@comcast.netWiring Sirius 2 car power source -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic