icon

Steering wheel radio controls

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigboi11 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
I replaced my factory HU with a Pioneer and now I cant control my radio with the steering wheel anymore.  My hu came with a remote but I still would like to use the steering controls. (1992 Pontiac Bonneville)
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
That's pretty nifty .... i'm trying to convince my brother to let me put in a HU for him and hardwire the remote to his steering wheel controls. Just have to find a place to hide the remote where it will still send the signal.
dantemc 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys, you need to use a peripheral or pac adapter.  it will be the peswix or the swix.  they work very well, install fairly easy, programming is a bit annoying, but you soon get the hang of it. it will do all steering wheel controls. 
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
You can only use a Pioneer remote in that car. The steering wheel controls aren't compatible with any aftermarket interface. The steering wheel controls were of an optical type as apposed to an analogue/resistor type which the current interfaces are designed for.
sparky
jstruckman 
Copper - Posts: 465
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Sparkie, we use a Soundgate steering wheel controls all the time for Pioneer, they were great.

Jazzy

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think anybody's interface will do the old style steering wheel controls. The old ones used a data signal, not a varied voltage signal like the current ones. GM changed them back in 1994.
sparky
homer1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Sparkie - The Soundgate REMOTE1V4  works '92-04 Bonneville steering controls acting as a learning IR remote. Check out Soundgate, they have a lot of interfaces & adapters to make installers lives a little easier - www.soundgate.com
Experience gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed - break it & learn!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic