icon

How to hook up 555L to non DEI rs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eric_the_great1 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, sorry to bother you all again.  I have a Prestige APS-996a and a DEI 555L bypass for a 96 Cav.  What wire(s) from the alarm module do I need to hook to the 555L.  Wire colors would be great.  Thanks so much guys.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
the problem with PL1 and the 555L is that you need a - during crank only ( which the DEI RS product supplies ) but your Prestige may not..... i 've had problems in this exact instance with other brands and you have to wire up a couple of relays to achieve this if i remember correctly....( 1 to convert crank + to - and 1 to key sense to ensure this only gets supplied during RS crank )
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
eric_the_great1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone else no if thats true or not?  I contacted Audiovox and of course they said they can only give me info on their bypass.  HELP PLEASE!!!!  lol
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
This is definitely true. It says it right in the 555L manual-- the violet wire is connected to a - pulse during crank....
Man, if you're asking other people to verify that kgerry isn't a liar... :)
Fortunately, the aps-996a has (on a four pin auxillary outputs harness) a BLACK / YELLOW pulse during crank wire that you can use. Look at page 26 of the installation manual (which took me about 1 1/2 minutes to find starting from the audiovox homepage....)
Me
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
Just had the same issue with a 97 Cavalier and a Prostart remote starter. I connected the blue / black wire from the 555L to my ground while running and connected the violet from the 555L to the ACC output. This line drops out during the crank cycle and gave enough of a ground to allow the 555L to do it's job. The bulb check wire is the small black wire in the black harness with the 2 main power wires (red) and 2nd accessory wire (brown).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
eric_the_great1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help guys.  I was in no way calling him a liar.  He said "...but your Prestige may not..... ", so since he wasn't for sure about my specific application, I was merely asking people more familiar with my unit if that was the case.  Sorry dude, but nonetheless, thanks for all help.  Peace.
eric_the_great1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
ps, hagmanti, I could perhaps prescribe you some antidepressants, you seem a bit on edge.  Relax my brother.
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Wella... I thought that the smiley would take the edge off. Apparently not-- it's time for the Valium!
Me
rsudbay 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
thanks eric for the post, next week i am putting the same alarm in the same car. lol. i was thinking about the same thing. but i was just wondering if you ran into any trouble when you did it. so i have something to look forward to. im a newby.
hey, everyone has got to start somewhere. but ill learn
eric_the_great1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
Lol, I like you hagmanti, you are a good guy.  For rsudbay, I haven't done the install yet and I am a newbie too.  I am waiting for finals to be over so I can go home and do it.  Just asking so questions to make sure all the loose ends are tied up.  So, since you are installing yours first, you can give me some hints  lol  Thanks again guys, this site ROCKS

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic