Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
warzz 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
     i recently put an audio system into my 1996 saturn sc
-alpine deck,kenwood amp,and solo baric kicker
i had my stereo working fine and i just put in speakers(i used the old factory speakers for a bit)
about a week later after putting in the speakers i was blasting the music and my radio shuts off and the amp and sub also went off. The radio wont go back on and i changed the radio fuse and the radio fuse in the fuse pannel. Also my defroster which is in the same circuit as the radio wont go on as well.....I installed the stereo with a friend that knew what he was doing. What could of happened?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
check to see if there is a second fuse under the hood. I have also heard of a few faulty wiring issues in these cars. you might have to re wire to the ign harness using fuses in line to your deck
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
warzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
i recently put an audio system into my 1996 saturn sc, alpine deck,kenwood amp,and solo baric kicker
i had my stereo working fine and i just put in speakers(i used the old factory speakers for a bit)
about a week later after putting in the speakers i was blasting the music and my radio shuts off and the amp and sub also went off. The radio wont go back on and i changed the radio fuse and the radio fuse in the fuse pannel. Also my defroster which is in the same circuit as the radio wont go on as well.....I installed the stereo with a friend that knew what he was doing. What could of happened?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Blown fuse elsewhere in the car.  Check in the engine compartment.  And make sure you have not inadvertently overloaded the circuit or had a connection vibrate loose before you simply replace the fuse...  was the radio fuse blown or did you just change it?
Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
check the fuses on the back of the radio, in the fuse panel in the car , under the hood fuse panel if there is one, and also look to see if your friend also put fuses in line to the radio on the constant and switched wires,   if other items arnt working then I would assume fuse in the car or under the hood
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
warzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
the radio fuse was fine and i changed it anyway...under the hood of the car there was no fuses for the radio....still my defroster wont go on and my radio...idk what i did to it. i used a wiring harn for the radio also. One day it was working fine and the next it just went out...also one more thing, i would blast the music and it would go off and then come right back on 2 sec later( i guess the last time i actually did something)...could this mean anything?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

warzz wrote:
also one more thing, i would blast the music and it would go off and then come right back on 2 sec later( i guess the last time i actually did something)...could this mean anything?

This generally means either the speaker impedence is too low or (for external amps) the gain is too high... or both.

Support the12volt.com
warzz 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
so what does that mean?
Terrandus 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 1996 saturn SL1 a while ago and had a simiialr problem, went I cranked my system I popped fuses... there should be a 5 amp fuse in the interior of the car that has blown.. the chime fuse. Does your car still have the door chime?
I was running my radio of the stock wiring( used a wiring harness) and I was pulling too much current. Wired the radio directly to the battery with a larger wire and an inline 10 amp fuse and the problem was solved.
dustin_parks79 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  

now for you system not working at all right now i would have to say a blown fuse some were that maybe your over looking, check all the fuses, even if you dont think it has any thing to do with it, now days you never no.....

but as far as the system cutting off and comming back on, you should watch your volts gage if you have one, see if you alternator is putting out enough to keep it charged.......if not than get an h/o alt......

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic