icon

Installing alarm in 93 civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
russg1 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, I am installing a CodeAlarm 125 Alarm system in my mothers 1993 Honda Civic EX (2 door w/SRS, w/o Factory Security) and have some questions regarding the wiring.  Specifically the "Dome Light Supervision Output" connection, the "Positive/Negative Door Input" connection, and the "Low Current Horn Output" connection.

For the dome light, the wiring diagrams that I have (and from what I can see in the car) shows:  a WHITE/ Green (battery) wire leads to the dome light switch.  The "ON" position leads to a ground point.  From the "Door" Position (so light goes on when doors are open, etc) shows a GREEN/ Red wire that splits, and runs to the passenger door switch on one leg, and on the other leg it runs through the beeper circuit (i.e. seat belt warning, key-on, etc), and exits this circuit as a GREEN/ Blue wire and then runs to the driver door switch. (The door switches appear to be one wire switches that use the switch casing/car body for ground).

I am thinking that I can connect both, the "Dome Light Supervision Output" and "Negative Door Input" wires to the GREEN/ Blue wire that leads to the driver door switch.  Is this the correct/best way to connect this so that the alarm will function correctly (i.e. open either door while armed will set off alarm, alarm arming is delayed and warning is given if door is open when attempting to arm system, and dome light goes on/off with lock/unlock, etc).

As for the "Low Current Horm Output" connection the wiring diagram I have shows a Blue/Green wire runs from the horn switch to the horn relay.  I am thinking that this is the correct wire to connect to, but this differs from the info from this site which shows:  Horn Wire | Blue/Red (-) | Steering Column, Use Relay.

Aside from the above, because this car does not have the factory security installed, I wonder if there is an unused connector somewhere along the wiring harness (that would normally be used for factory security) that I can use to make some of the alarm connections.  Anyone know?

Here are some relevant links:

Additionally,  I need to install a trunk release solenoid (car has a built in manual trunk release located next to drivers seat),  any tips for doing this with this car?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide  :)

hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
First of all, thanks for your carefully researched post! You actually pointed me to a web site I never knew existed.
The '93 civic does not have a factory security connector as such (as later civics do).
I'm a little confused reading your post, so I'm just going to say:
Put parking light fuse in the Hi (or +) position.
Put the fuse for Dome polarity in the Lo (or -) position.
Put the fuse for the trunk in the Hi (or +) position (actually, this is a bit aribtrary, since you'll be wiring this relay yourself later...)
(all wire colors are 425 -> car)
BROWN / black -> pin 86 of relay. Pin 85 to 12V. Pin 30 to ground. Pin 87 to Blue/Red (might be Blue-- my source vary-- look for a wire that goes near 0V when you honk the horn).
Jump the green wire to the BLACK/ white wire -> GREEN/ red wire in the car. (There are 2-- look for one that goes near 0V when any door is open).
Do _not_ hook it up to the driver's door pin, or that will be the only door covered by the alarm. Mucho badness.
Blue wire -> GREEN/ Black (above fuse block in a blue plug).
Red wire -> White wire (in ign harness)
Pink wire -> BLACK / YELLOW (in ign harness)
Green wire -> key side of cut BLACK/ white wire
Purple wire -> motor side of cut BLACK/ white wire
White wire -> RED / black (at fusebox [white conn] or DKP)
Green (from DL harness) -> GREEN / WHITE (2 pin plug taped behind fusebox)
Blue (from DL harness) -> GREEN/ red (same place)
DMMeter every wire that you hook up to, and make sure they do what you think they do!
I would check one of the Honda sites for info about adding trunk release. In my Civic, the Accord trunk release is a straight drop-in replacement, and the DEI and Code-alarm models both generate too much torque...
Hope this helps,
Me
russg1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help.  I have some questions regarding what you posted.

BTW: In my original post the battery wire for the dome light should read WHITE/ Blue and not WHITE/ Green.

As for the horn connection, are you saying that I should use an additional relay, or are those connections for the horn relay allready in the car?  Here is a pic of the basic layout of the in-car horn wiring.

Installing alarm in 93 civic -- posted image.

From the above pic, where should I make the connection (again, I am thinking the Blue/Green wire)?

As for the Dome Light Supervision and Door Input connections, are you speaking of the GREEN/ Red wire that leads to the Passenger Door Switch (from the description of this wiring in my original post), or a different GREEN/ Red wire (and if so, the probable location(s))?  Is this a different circuit from the Dome Light/ Door Switches?

As for the Door Locks, I wondered about that connector (2 pin plug taped behind fusebox), and tested it and read no voltage from those wires.  I ran the DL wires to the door lock switch in the drivers door (haven't connected them yet) and was hoping for a better location then in the door.  Are you sure about that connector (and if so, any idea why I read no voltage from these wires on the DMM (normally and when locking/unlocking doors)?

Thanks again,

Russ

russg1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

BTW:  Here is a basic pic of the dome light/door switch circuit (in case my description was confusing... and again the beeper circuit is the seat belt warning, etc, audible indicators (beeper), etc).

Installing alarm in 93 civic -- posted image.

Is the above GREEN/ Red wire the one you are speaking of?

hagmanti 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
According to my sources, there are two GREEN/ red wires in the driver's running board. One of those should be that wire. I'm guessing from the schematic above that they both might be that wire, logically. Again, let your DMM be your guide.
You definitely don't want the GREEN/ blue wire-- that's diode isolated from the pass door switch.
All my sources say that the horn wire should be blue/red (I was misreading one of them last night when I mentioned a blue wire) in the steering column, so I'm not sure about your diagram saying blue/green. Either way, for safety, I'd wire in another relay (as given above).
Again, I'd be looking for wire that goes near 0V when I honked the horn.
Last but not least, the lock/unlock wires:
Are you sure you had good ground when you're metering those wires? And a good connection to them? I'm confused by this-- I've worked on a few of these cars, and I don't remember seeing any other 2 pin plug taped up around that area-- certainly not w/ those colors. And I don't believe you have to have the key in the cylinder...
If it were me (I'M NOT RECOMMENDING THIS! IT'S FRANKLY A PRETTY STUPID IDEA AND REFLECTS BADLY ON MY IQ!!) I'd take a fuse holder w/ a 2 amp fuse in it, and touch one side to that GREEN / WHITE wire, and the other to ground-- see if the doors locked.
Me
russg1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Regarding the door locks,  yes I am sure I used a good ground, and I had allready tried a test similair to the one you do not recommend (hehe), and nothing happened.  I also tried a continuity test between those wires and the wires in the door and had no continuity.  I tried with key on as well and still nothing...  Considering the Power Door Lock Control is inside of the drivers door (and the only power door lock switch is also in that door) I am not sure why there would be wires under the dash for that purpose (other than the wires to unlock the passenger door and maybe for a security system), but it would be nice (but still I wonder what that connector is for then, and why the wire colors match, etc.)

I am using to diiferent sources for the wiring diagrams, a Haynes manual (yeah I know), and a Factory Service manual that I found on the Net in PDF form.

Both manuals show the same wiring for the horn as in my diagram.  For your horn test, how long would I have to hold down the horn (and drive my neighboors nuts (programming this thing should be amusing, lol)) to test.  A quick test shows voltages dropping in both of the (Blue/Green and Blue/Red) wires when pressing the horn, but I did not hold it down long enough for either to reach zero (or close to zero).  Also, if my diagram is correct, which wire would you use (maybe I am just not understanding correctly which wire is the high current wire, and which is the low current wire (again, my thinking is the low current wire would be the one that triggers the relay))?

As for the Door trigger,  I noticed that the Haynes manual actually shows more of the actual circuit (but gives no indication of the location of the wires) then the factory manual does, so there are more connections then shown in my diagram (connector C417, wherever that is (somewhere under the dash I believe), but I will check the driver running board and test those wires as well.

Thanks again,

Russ

hagmanti 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
If you've already got the wires running into the door, then use them. I don't really understand why that connector does what it does, but what can you do...
For the horn-- if you hook it up through a relay to that blue/red wire, I'm pretty sure it'll work. It might well work other ways...
Me
russg1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

I tested both horn wires, and both drop to zero when the horn is pressed.  If I used an additionally relay, then the connections I would use (as described by you) are identical to the connections used by the horn relay itself, where as Pin86 would be the one that is currently connected to the Blue/Green wire.  Because of this, I think I will connect to that. as I originally thought to do (if I used an additional relay, then I agree that the Blue/Red wire would be the correct one to use, but I do not want to add another relay if it is not necessary).

As for that connector (for the door locks?), maybe it only works with a factory security system installed (i.e. something in the factory system is needed to complete the circuit to the doors)?

Thanks again for the help, and I will look into that situation with the trunk release.

Russ

russg1 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,  thanks again for the help.  The alarm is in, and everything seems to be working correctly (that blue LED is bright, lol).  I used the Blue/Green wire for the horn (without needing an additional relay), and the Light GREEN/ Red wire (in drivers running board) for the Door Pin and Dome Light Supervision.  The trunk pin in this car was solid green (with 2 silver dots I believe), and you can connect to the tach at the fuse box (blue wire in one of the connectors on the front side of the under dash fuse box, near the connectors for the parking lights and the trunk pin (actually all 3 of these wires run through the same harness and can be tapped into there (harness that runs from the top-front of the fuse box to the left side of the dash... has a 20 pin white connector taped to it) ) rather than having to do it under the hood.  Everything else was basically the same as the info here in the database.

The only thing I still have to do, is install the trunk release solenoid, and need to find some info about it (best install location, and info about the torque problem you mentioned).

Russ. 

furredoutgixxer 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

you have to run wires into the drivers door for keyless. GREEN / WHITE-lock, GREEN/ red-unlock. i hate to do keyless on these cars because of the molex connector in the door. these wires terminate in the molex connector and if you have a gm deck harness around you can use two wires out if it to plug into the connector. sometimes its easier than drilling out the connector.

MECP Master Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic