icon

Running speaker wire through door.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dominicb 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
I want to hook up a 2 channel amp to my front component speakers.  The problem that I am having is running the speaker wire through the door.  I know most people run the speaker wire through the boot in the door jam, but it is not very accessable in my car.  I have a 1995 Nissan 240sx.  I also wanted to know about the factory amp that is mounted under the rear speaker panel.  If I get rid of the factory amp, I have to run all new speaker wires from the front speakers and the rear speakers to the headunit right??  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
if you dont use the factory amp yes you have to run new wires to each speaker or to each output wire from the amp..as far as the door goes try using a coat hanger through the boot,   that the ghetto way of doing it but it works..or use the stock wires to get from the boot to the speakers
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged  
i would just use the stock speakerwire from the harness
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
I would not recommed running any wire through tthe door jamb. Eventually the bare wire will make contact with the metal on the door, and it will be quite the smoke show...ive seen it happen. Are yopu trying to get these wires from the trunk to the car, or from under the hood to the car??
dominicb 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to run the wires from the trunk to the speakers in the door.  If I don't run the wire through the door jam, how should I do it?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

The wire boot in the door is fine, as long as the wire isn't being pinched you have nothing to worry about.

On the door side I cut a tiny slit in the boot, slid the wire through, and resealed it with silicone.  No problems.

On the car side the boot was to full, so I removed a little foam plug that was over a thumb sized hole in the car metal, thread my speaker wire through, then sealed it back up with a tiny patch of dynamat xtreme and some silicone.  Be creative.  As long as you aren't rubbing the wire against a sharp metal edge or have pinching it, you have nothing to worry about.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
switch_hitter 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
just run the wire from the amp to the back of the radio, and connect it there
2 Memphis HPO 12s
1 Memphis 1000D
2 Memphis 8s
1 Memphis MC200
4 Memphis 3way 6 1/2s
1 Memphis MC3004