Need Some Help With Car Audio Setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dem622 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2004 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
I have a couple of questions about what I would like to do with my car audio setup...I currently have a Kicker 300.4 amp, a pair of Kicker tweeters w/ crossovers, JVC cd player, and Alpine in door speakers.
1) My tweeters came in a set w/ some 6 1/2s and the crossovers handle both...will they still function properly without the other half of the component set?
2) I'm looking to add some bass to my car, but I'm hoping I won't have to buy an additional amp to power it. I really don't care to have earth shattering boom, just a little low end to my sound. I'm thinking maybe a single 10 or 12, but I don't know what will work out with my amp as far as wiring, ohms, and voice coil type stuff.
Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Dennis
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
if you dont care about boom all that much, i would suggest a amp that can push even a good 200-500watts RMS, and a sub wired to 4ohms (@20-500watts), that should give you enough bass and clarity.
if your tweets dont have the mids, the crossover you have for the tweets, and the indoor speakers should work alright. if your alpine door speakers are coaxial it may sound too bright, but i cant be a judge of that, nor confirm without a doubt that it will work. but im assuming it will.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

For some clarity:  this Kicker amp, is it 4 x 75 watts RMS at 4 ohms?

Do the Alpine speakers in the doors have tweeters?  Crossovers?  Are they coaxials?

You'll need two channels of that 4 channel amp to power a sub.  RMS watts at 4 ohms bridged ( should be the same output as the sum of two channels at 2 ohm stereo).  You would use one 4 ohm single voice coil subwoofer with an RMS rating that closely matches the power output of the amp at 2 channels bridged @ 4 ohms.  That will leave you a pair of channels to power a pair of speakers.  Look at RMS of those Alpines, and if they match up closely with the amp power at its 4 ohm rating, then you can power those with two channels.

So, with two channels bridged to a sub, and the other two channels powering the front main speakers, you have used the amp.  But for more specifics, you will need to post model # of amp and RMS of the speakers you currently have.

dem622 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
The amp is 75 watts rms per channel, the rms of the alpines, I'm not certain of (they were already in my car when I bought it). They are coaxials tho. So, if I'm understanding correctly the amp bridged would be 2 channels with 150 watts per channel? Also I'm looking to use my tweets with the other channel of the amp if possible and leave the indoor speaker powered by the cd players amp (50wx4).
Dennis
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Totally forget the kicker crossover and tweeters. If you don't have the matching woofers all they'll do is muck up your sound. Why aren't you using the 6.5" drivers?
Run the coaxial door speakers with 2 channels of the amp. Bridge the other channels to an efficient sub. This is the easiest and best way for you to get good sound out of your current equipment. I simply can't see those kicker tweeters adding anything to your setup in any way unless you have the woofers they came with. In that situation I would get rid of the Alpine speakers.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic