icon

Amp whistles?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crispycritter91 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 5:03 AM / IP Logged  
I have a  98 Pioneer Premiere amp rated at 800 watts. My question is my amp whistles.... It isn't a hum from ground loop or from the ALT and it isn't from the subs ( 3 different subs, connected and disconnected). It only does it when my engine is off or at idle. If I rev my engine it goes away. I have used this amp in 3 different vehicles, and it whistle in all three of them( w/ or w/o (2) 1 Farad caps). All of the vehicles have 2GA power and ground w/ (2) 60 amp fuses. I've heard somewhere that capacitors can crack and cause that, yet I've looked on the board and I haven't found any electrolytic powered on the board... Any input, into this problem???
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

The sound comes from the amplifier itself?  Yes, this is most often caused by physical damage inside the amp.  A bad capacitor or inductor or a cracked or damaged circuit board can possibly cause this.  My guess is a delamination on the power supply portion of the main board or a bad internal ground plane.  You may be able to repair it, but if it's a PCB related problem it would cost more than the amp is worth.  Just as an experiment try connecting a jumper wire from the amplifier case to ground while the sound is present (you may have to scrape the paint or anodizing off the case to get to bare metal.)  If this changes the sound you most likely have a bad ground plane or damaged PCB and the amp is on its way to Pioneer Product Heaven.

Support the12volt.com
crispycritter91 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
I'll check into, shouldn't be a problem since I've striped the amp and polished the heat sink. Oh yeah..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry I was just pondering Pioneer heaven... Amp whistles? - Last Post -- posted image.
crispycritter91 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
Well I ran out there and checked it out. Thus far I have whistling no matter what I do with the grounding option you had given me. I've tried the ground wire to the amp and various configs with the amp to the frame of the vehicle. It still whistles. But since I have heard this from you and someone long long ago. I will definately check into this matter with the board.... Thanks again I'll keep you posted.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic