icon

Alarm R/S in 97 Blazer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vlepouce 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

I am going to install a Viper 791XV in my 1997 Chevy Blazer this weekend.  Is there anyone who has any advice?  I want to keep as much of the wiring as possible in the cab, not under the hood.  After the R/S and alarm are working I am going to pick up a battery backup and a mini siren for in the vehicle.  I have a wiring diagram for the blazer and a pin out from the installation manual.  My questions are mostly about door switches, rear hatch release, and tach wire.  I am not sure of the type of locks on this vehicle.  The Blazer does not have remote locks from the factory from what I know.  Bought the truck used, and did not get the fob for it.  I will know this weekend for sure.

The wiring diagram shows that there is white wire running to the tach on the dash coming from the coil.  Hoping to solder to it under the dash.

Rear defroster seams easy with a relay.  Run from alarm to 85, 86 to ground.  From switched 12 volts to 30, and 87 to wire leading from switch to vehicle relay for rear defroster?

Not sure if positive or negative door locks.

Any advice as to what needs a relay and what needs diodes?

Everything I have read on this site leads me to believe that this is one of the premiere places for help.

Thanks

SoundFX411 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
your lock wires can be found in either kick panel
LOCK= LT/BLUE
UNLOCK= WHITE
It is a positive door locking system
SoundFX
vlepouce 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the information.

Any thoughts or comments on the rear defroster or the tack wires?

Thanks

SoundFX411 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
the rear defrost has a timer built in and there is no wire color for it.
the tach wire is white. located at the ECM in the passenger side inner fender.
SoundFX
vlepouce 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 7:10 AM / IP Logged  

Any advice on where to get a good ground?  Having problems finding a good ground under the dash.  Any idea on the tach wire under the dash going to the tachometer? 

After starting this, I have newfound respect for professional installers.  My wiring diagram shows the tach coming from a white wire on the coil.  Unfortunately the only white wire has a black stripe, which runs to the ECM, not the dash.

Thanks

SoundFX411 
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately the tach wire is under the hood. As for the ground, there is a ground connection in the drivers kick panel up high.
SoundFX
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
For a 6 cyl. its the wht/ blk at the coil pack on pass side. nbehind the drivers kick panel there should be a factory ground there ground all to one point. Make sure your 2nd ign is kicked on at the correct time, or the check angine lite will come on (usually) and this keeps the tranny from shifting correctly (won't go out of second gear). It needs to fire up at reallitivly the same time as when you twist the key..
Good luck. I just did ine of these the other day... kind of a pain.. stupid lower dash panels have to hang in the way...
vlepouce 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the assistance.  The only thing I am currently having problems with is locating the lock wires.  Still working on it but no luck so far. 

Anyone have an idea.  The kick panels do not want to come loose.  Still trying to find the problem.

Thanks

Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
They should be in a harness going over to the center console or mabey the factory keylaess, the box on the topside of the lower dash panel, or snake wires into the door boots and do the connections at the switch harness...
vlepouce 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
I will look for that harness. I did find them coming out of the pasenger door finally, but would like avoid running them that far. May have to but will check again one night this week.
I have a couple of additional questions. Door open sensor and hooking up the locks.
Do I need relays to power the door locks?
Having trouble figuring out what wire to use for the door sensor. Read somewhere to use the white wire on the lamp under the dash. Not sure how to verify this.
Thanks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic