icon

door speaker setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
Im going to be powering all 4 of my door speakers by a memphis 75x4 amp. I am going to have a pair of memphis components in the front with crossovers and the back 2 door speakers i have no idea what i want to put there. I dont know whether i should put 3 way, coaxial, 2 way, or components in the back. Could someone hook me up with a good pair of speakers that will sound loud and clear off a memphis 75x4 amp? Also do speaker baffels help the sound quality? Thankyou
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
mbergwin 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

if u have any subs, the rear speakers are for fill only, so u dont even need rear speakers but, i sudjest a 2-way speaker, seeing how the less high tones you get from the rear will help with less distortion.

i would also look into getting a cross-over to eliminate the low tones form the door speakers to help with destortion, because the subs will cover all the low tons (>40 db)

-Bergwin

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

A 2 way is fine.  Turn the high pass crossover on and you shouldn't have to worry too much about power.  Solid speaker baffles and a quality installation makes a HUGE difference.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  
Two ways will do you good.  Depending on how your setup is you may not hear them anyway.  I have a 94 Dodge Spirit. Of course in that car the speakers are all 5 1/4 in the doors.  Not much bass anyway.  However I have my 2 fronts and sub running off the front channel of my HU.  My fronts are Panasonics that I pick up at Circuit City on clearance.  Probably the best sounding 2 ways I have ever purchased in my opinion.  The rear speakers are still the factory 5 1/4.  Suffice it to say, even with fading almost totally to the rear, I don't hear the factory speakers.  I thought the factory 5 1/4 sounded OK until I picked up these panasonics for $12.00.  The tweeter is spec'd at 50khz so I have treble on flat and you still hear all the highs loudly.   Sorry this was long, Concentrate on your front soundstage.  I doubt if you sit in the back of your car anyway, except to clean it.
Harv
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
Speaker baffles can help sound quality.  Bass will be tighter and also it'll keep your speakers from getting moisture damaged from rain that seeps down the window opening in the doors.
Harv
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

In this vehicle you can fit oversize 6.5" speakers in the front and rear. I like the sound of MB Quart speakers. A mdf baffle will need to be constructed to mount these speakers properly as the factory size is a 6x8" for both front and rear. The baffle can be made out of 1/2 mdf and should be resined due to the moisture in the door. Paint the baffles blavk after they are made. For the front components have a look at either the RCE216 or PCE216 speakers. Both of these components allow you to mount the tweeter dead center of the woofer. This most certainly will make install much easier. For the rear speakers, they are infact a fill speaker. If you are going to have people back there and have a video system as well, either a matching coax or component like the front is a good bet. Try to keep the speakers the same brand if you can for match of tone and timbre. Those doors are huge beyatches as well. Make sure that you brown bread the entire inside of the door skin and the inside of the door (behind the door panel) to keep them from rattling. A side benefit here is going to be improved midbass response.

www.mbquart.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic