icon

Line Output Converter to 5 Channel Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jvee 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
I really want to use the factory head unit in my car to keep it looking stock.  I have read of other people who own my car doing it with good results.  I am just unclear about how many I would need.  My factory head unit will have front and rear lines out, but I am unsure about how many I would need to work with the five channel amp...Also, was looking at a stinger product, but also heard that Audio Control has a new LOC, but not sure of advantages.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

You would use a four-channel LOC, tapping into the speaker wires for the signals.  Fronts go to 1 and 2, rears go to 3 and 4.  And you would use Y-splitters to share the front signal with the 5th channel sub.  Fading the head unit will then keep the fronts consistent with the sub, and the rears can be faded down by themselves without interfering with anything else.

There are several brands of high quality LOC's.  Besides the two you mentioned, there is Peripheral, David Navone Engineering, Soundgate....and others.  I recommend the NE774V.  Qualities to look for include:  adjustability of voltage, isolated internal grounding and a built-in subsonic filter.

Twisted wire is the key to success with a LOC.  The LOC should be positioned where you have easy access to it for adustment purposes, and most experts say to place it close to the amp.  The twisted speaker wire, then, is soldered into the proper OEM wires, and is run (away from power wires) back to the amp location.  Another method probably more often used is to place the LOC behind the head unit and run twisted cable RCA's to the amp.  The first method is less expensive (twisted speaker wire instead of RCA's) and allows easy access to the LOC.

Jvee 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks.  I have been installing my own systems for over 10 years and I always have more to learn.  It is hard for me to believe it is this easy to access great information like this.  By the way, why is it important to use twisted wire.  Your post seems right on, so basically I am going to take your suggestions anyway, but I just want to understand the reasons... 
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

Positive twisted with negative, 1.5 to 2 twists per inch, cancels interference picked up along the wire run.  That's why quality RCA cables feature "twisted pair cables".  Additional shielding is not really needed.  Any signal input wires should be twisted pair while regular speaker wires from amp to speakers do not need to be.  I even twist the leads on the LOC, too.  HERE is one example of wiring on the market that is twisted pair.  I twist my own wires using common 20 ga. Bell wire and a drill for quick work of it.

(BTW...there isn't one of us (regular contributors) on this forum who doesn't learn something new almost every day   :)

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  

If you just want to buy some already twisted speaker wire that isnt too expensive try this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wqtSrsPGPlT/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50600&I=211UC14 It has "zero grip" clear insulation also which would make it easier to run the cable throughout your car. 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Have a good close look at the Audio Control LC6. It will do exactly what you need it to do + if you purchase the optional sub level control, it will then afford you much more control over your system.

www.audiocontrol.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic