the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Parametric EQ

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

I am interested in incoroporating a parametric EQ. So how many bands would suffice. What brands. what are the cost ranges? I am currently running an Alpine cda-7977 an alpine mrv-f407 4 channel, some soon to be upgrded pioneer components perhaps to some rainbows or quarts. Some alpine 6x9s and a mtx 1000d w/ two 12" mtx 7500's. what am i going to benifit from an eq?

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
Well, you were the one talking about the harshness of different domes earlier. Upon investigation you might learn that the harshness is being caused by a peak in the 8-12khz range. A simple narrow notch down 3db might do it for you. You may be totally pleased with the sound after using that one band of eq. On the other hand, if you want to get things totally flat with the help of a real time analyzer, it'll probably take 5 or more bands.
I originally thought I'd try to flatten out the response using an RTA and an EQ. Let me tell you this. It is WAY harder than it looks / seems / sounds. Every notch also effects adjacent bands. After many hours of frustration my strategy changed to simply removing a couple peaks. I only ended up using a couple bands of PEQ. My RTA doesn't read flat, but I cured the major problems and it sounds good.
Having said that, I would always buy the best possible front midrange / high speakers I could. Don't even consider buying the pioneers and "fixing" them to make them sound like the rainbow speakers. It just won't happen. I frankly wish I would have spent more time researching my midrange / high purchase. I probably would have saved a little extra for the Quart Q series.
In other words, if your choice is between the pioneer + expensive eq or the rainbow / quart with no eq, there's no contest... buy the best mains you can.
If you really do want an eq the ones from AudioControl are excellent. Also, don't buy a crap eq. Many of the cheap in-dash eqs out there, especially the few band graphic ones, aren't really going to be that good at actually helping you fix a problem - and in many cases just add another place noise can enter the system.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you very much. This is more than a start for me now. I might mention the pioneers are already installed, so no matter what, I will upgrade. I have seen many ads fro audio control eq's and realize what you are talking about as far as adjusting them however. thanks
dwarren 
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

what about digital ones? they are more money whats the benefit of digital, wouldnt that decrease sq?

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Probably about the same sq. The real advantage is simply a larger freature set. Many times they come with user memory, a couple bands of PEQ, etc.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Are you wanting TRUE parametric equalization? Your best bet IS INDEED, digital. Try Alto, and look at their trunk mount, set it and forget it systems. I use two of the UCSPros in my trunk, one for the sub, and one for the three way system in the doors... This is awesome gear - Yes, even better than Nakamichi (there's a jab, let's see if anybody catches it)
You may have to join their forums, but ask there where you can find a dealer in your area. Like Eclipse,you can ONLY buy it thru a dealer if you want a warranty. Do not try to acquire the stuff via eBay.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Mike Brooks 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
Try the Audio Control DQX.  I own one & it truly does allow it's user to fine tune a system.  As always though, a good sounding system starts with a good game plan.  Don't expect to install a couple of coaxials in the factory locations, power them with an amplifier & shape the sound with an EQ & expect to win SQ competitions.  My preferred method is to start with a high quality head unit, add a multi-band parametric equalizer, fabricate a pair of kick panels with a focal point aiming mid level in the center of the vehicle, install a nice set of component speakers into them, & feed them with a high quality, high power (too much power is better than not enough if you know the speaker's limitations) amplifier.  Tune it by ear.  Best way to tune by ear is to attend a live concert ( I enjoyed the 3 Doors Down show.  The sound quality is probably the best I have ever heard for a rock band.), listen very carefully to the instruments & the vocals taking mental notes on how they sound.  Next, obtain the CD from the band you just heard ASAP as time is of the essence to "remember & recreate" the sound.  After making your settings, either write them down or save them to memory on your EQ.  Then check your settings with an RTA using pink noise from a test disc & see how flat your setting is.  I always check this on my personal system & if there are any major (3db or more per band) I try to flatten the curve to less than 3 db increment per band.  I am a sound quality enthuisiast & love to share my ideas with anyone willing to listen.  I enjoy a good sounding system that is crystal clear whether it is my own or someone else's.  To me, nothing compares to it.  By the way, the DQX has the capability to make any system sound perfect as long as quality products are used & professionally installed.  Yes, the DQX is more costly than any modest head unit on the market, but it is well worth it in the right hands.
dwarren 
Posted: December 19, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

I looked into Audio Control equipment and was considering a the EQ line or the EQS specifically. The DQX would set me back $500. I don't know if prepared to do this considering I haven't even bought my front comp. set yet. The amp could certainley be upgraded, before the DQX I think. I am also a little concerned with mayching my needs to price. The lesser EQS would be more reasonable as I am not looking to compete, but at this point I find that buying lower end stuff always makes want the higher end stuff. My equipment I have now has been pieced together through various locations, most of it at cost. So i remain patient in my goals. I would be very gracious to hear more though, I recently thought of the kick panel set up too. 

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
Whoa hymphaest, Nakamichi is pretty hard stuff to beat! Unless this is superb beyond belief i think it might come in 2nd place! Post me some stats on it, but anyways, AudioControl, Cadence, Nakamichi, and MMATS all make fantastic Equalizers. I highly recommend all of them (Nakamichi at the top). Let us know what you go with.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Posted: December 20, 2004 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

*throw up*

What?

Nak doesn't produce anything that does what the Alto or AudioControl units being talked about do ... period...

How can you recommend them when they don't even make the same products?  Do you have any experience with any of these products?  ... or do you just have an unconditional hard-on for nakamichi? 

I'm sorry, I know they make a great top-end cd player.... but it is flat out foolish to assume that everything else needs to be, "superb beyond belief" just to meet Nakamichi. 

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic