icon

2003 Envoy remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pettinej 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I am having a problem with a 2003 Envoy. Most of the time the remote start works fine. But some times it will not even crank. I have monitored the start wire and it is going to +12v but the starter will not crank.
I did notice that anytime I remote start (when it works and when it does not work) the dash lights do not come on. What I mean by this is that the ignition turns on but the idiot lights do not light. When I use the key the idiot lights work and everything is fine. Also I have checked the antitheft. I have tried the resistor and relay method and a unit from bypasskit.com. Same result. The most interesting thing is that it seems to happen when the temp is below 25 degrees F.
Any input is appreciated.
John
hagmanti 
Silver - Posts: 304
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I would guess that either
A) Not all ignition wires hooked up (should be pink, white, and acc==orange,brown)
B) The battery is getting a little low, and in cold weather isn't supplying a high enough voltage.
B2) Your alarm goes to power the starter motor, see too great a drop in voltage, and panics and shuts down (I've seen this behavior from more than one brand of R/S).
(To diagnose the above, you're going to have to go out there one cold morning w/ a DMM...)
Are you sure it's not a loose connection on the bypass? It sure sounds like it could be (sporadically not starting even w/ 12V on the starter...)
Me
furredoutgixxer 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

the passlock system in the envoy is a little more complicated than adding a resistor. its timed from the ignition. it sounds like there is a loose wire on the start,mabye 2nd ignition. try checking all the connections and using a meter next time it happens. it might be the bypass also.

MECP Master Installer

dantemc 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

i would check the ignition wires. you should have pink-ignition, white-2nd ignition, orange-accy, brown-2nd accy. hooked up. i would also check the alarm's ground wire and make sure the connections are soldered on the 555L passlock connections. if those wires shake a bit, they send a whole bunch of codes in the system, and the key resistance will not be seen when remote started.  but, if the car is not even trying to crank, i would check the ignition wires again.

pettinej 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2004 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the help. I am not sure if I have it 100% correct but I did find that the brown wire has to be energized to see the idiot lights on the dash come on. I had to run the RS in tach mode and connect the tach. I hate doing tach but if it works I will be happy.
When it gets below 25 degress I will know if it works or not.
John
Image6902 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2004 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
 I do a ton of them and the dash lights only come on if you power the brown accessory wire, not required. what type of starter are you using and what type of antitheft bypass? the most common thing is the antitheft bypass, but let me know what you got and i can help more
I tell it like it is...
pettinej 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct the brown wire will illuminate the dash lights and is not needed for remote start.
I am using a crimestopper unit. I found that some vehicles need the tach wire connected. If not when it gets cold the unit will start the car but the unit thinks that the car did not start. It trys three attempts and all three start the vehicle but keeps turning off because it does not know that it started.
I am using a GMDLBP. I have not had good luck with this bypass and envoy. I have done 4 this year and two have had problems. I had one lock up the car so bad it would not start with the key! I would like to switch can anyone else give info on what they use??
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

555L & 455G combo   they work fine.......

your problem sounded like you might have had a cold solder connection on one of your ignition wires... often when something works fine when it's warm and not when it's cold, it's a cold solder issue..... you may want to recheck your solder connections on your primary ignition wires.... just a suggestion....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic