Command Start Blowing Module

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Devil_Boy 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Hi there,
Ill start from the beginning. My dad has a 92' grand prix, with a newer viper alarm/start/keyless. Hes had the car for a couple years now with no problems until recently. Recently the cars (cant remember exact name for it) Control Module? went. The car has no distributer and on this module there are 3 Coils with the plug wires going to it. So the module blew. so we went and got another one, a whopping 200, for this piece of damn plastic...lol. Anyways we put it in the car ran worse then before. so we took it back to the parts store and they tested both of them, the old one was shot and the new one was fine....so we go back and put it in... same thing it doesnt start....jsut wont fire... so after days my dad had the battery charger on it and it fired..... whewww we thought the battery was so dead that it couldnt fire it... so we go to leave his shop and guess what the car dies.... so he fianlly gave up and booked it into his friends shop that does electrical for cars. We push it in and later that day they figured it was the batttery.... So they leave it outside for my dad to get after work and when they went to start it to put it outside.....I died and wouldnt start again. ........... So anyways they tested that module and it was Fried, they claim the Command Start shorted and fried the module. So the command start is unhooked now.... Now ive installed a fair ammount of alarms and command starts but im no expert by far. So my question is Could this happen?? I cant see it happening but yet i could.... now we are going to hook the command start back up.... but the piece isent the cheapest to replace again..
So whats the next step and if it were to short where should i start with the wires to check (ignition ones?)
Thanks
Jeff
daze 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
was your remotestart installed with a tach wire or was it using voltage sense ?
Devil_Boy 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
im honestly not to sure, as it was installed when we got the car. I would assume that it would be done with the tach though because the car has a tach gauge so i would think its much easier...
furredoutgixxer 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

mechanics are always blaming aftermarket components because they are too lazy to troubleshoot an electrical system. low voltage fries electrical components all the time. replace the battery and exchange the coil pack for a new one(should have a warranty if you bought it new). try having the shop load test the alternator also.DO NOT activate the remote start for a couple of days to make sure that it is not interfering with the electrical system. that should fix it. the remote start probably isnt causing the problem.

MECP Master Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic