box design- is it possible? pix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
satfrk32 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

Links to images on bottom...

Alright here's a box design i want to do in the drunk of my car. 2 sub woofers enclosed custom fiberglass housing with an amp rack levitating in the middle. underneath the amp rack will be 2 led light rods to ligh the woofers next to the amp rack. the trick is, my car is a daily, and i want my spare tire! all of this will be on top of the spare tire well...but do you think its possible to have this set up so that i can remove each peice (2 subwoofer boxes, 1 amp rack with leds attached) to get to the spare tire well?

Any feedback appreciated.

http://www.kidcharlamane.com/delete.jpg

http://www.kidcharlamane.com/delete2.jpg

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
I would say yes its definetly possible, they trick would be to make it in three easily removable pieces, and make sure to use molex type connectors for all wiring, this will ensure you can pull it out in an emergency.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
Or you could just keep a screwdriver in the glove box for removing the wires.   But yeah Im with sk8ingsmurf just keep it in three pieces. I thought about doing this along time ago, this may not work but it may depending on how much room your sub boxes take up. Tell me what you think ok,  make just the center piece removable.  Then take your cardboard trunk floor and cut it in half, then put hinges on it and support bracing where you cut it in half.  That way you can get in the trunk remove your amp rack then climb into the back seat lift up half of the cardboard and remove your spare tire through your back seat and voila.  Just a thought may not even have enough room to do it, but just one of those random ideas. Let us know how it works out.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Bahhh!  Fill the "drunk" full of subs, and strap the tire to the roof to keep it from bulgingbox design- is it possible?  pix - Last Post -- posted image.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
Actually the cubic volume of those enclosures look big. You may want to see how much space you need versus how much you HAVE.
Design is nice, though. Keep it 3 pieces is easiest.
DXAV
satfrk32 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the comments and tips, i just realized that the hinges from my drunk door (when i close my trunk) will smack against those sub enclosures! So....I test fitted my spare tire in very back of my trunk leaning upwards. it fits..so im thinking by having it leaning upwards (can't stand up all the way its too tall) i can design my box to be a triangular shape almost and on the backside of my woofer box the spare tire can just slide on (screw on, whatever)-- making sure there will be no vibrations of course. that way i can slip down my back seat and pop out my spare tire without touching my amp or woofers at all. sound good? ill try and post some pix of my idea up.

http://www.kidcharlamane.com/delete3.gif

ugmoe2000 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
I had two 15's in the back of my cherokee up until i sold it... i ended up mounting the amp under the back seat perminately and the wires running to the subs from the amp I put on RCA jacks that hooked right into the box so i could simply unplug them and pop the whole massive box out if i needed to use it for cargo space... it was great my only regret was that i never secured the box to the trunk cause i thought it'd be too much of a hassle to take it out.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
-Rockford Fosgate Punch 501x
-CDT EF-61CF Components
-CDT CL-6x Coaxials for Rear Fill
-Aura 1" tweets from the Mr. Component Series in the dash
slab42 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

you could relocate your spare like you said, but if it is a donut, it will be ugly.  make a new place for it to mount, using a threaded steel rod, and the original wingnut, you can make it removable.

or, what i would do is have the amp suspended from the rear deck.  have the amp rack hanging down from the rear deck just low enough to see, but high enough to make the spare accessible... and stick to keeping the sub enclosures small.  use either a sub that needs less space, or "make" space, by extending the box in all directions but out.

bareaudio 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

If you have any metal fabrication skills modify the trunk floor. The quick and dirty would be to cut out the spare tire well reskin it flat, Add support then use a threaded rod like a pickup truck.

Nothings impossible! Just takes good engineering.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic