icon

Memphis 1000D with JL 10W7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
I am needing some advice on my selection of products...  I got a Memphis 1000D which is 1100 watts at 1 ohm and the 10W7 is a SVC 3 ohm. Is this possible to use together, if so, how does it have to be wired and everything? Help please, it was my girlfriends christmas present.
Duke Duke
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

you can still use this set up, not recomended though, you will not be able to get the power out of that amp you want. I would suggest ditching that w7 anyway. Look at some of the memphis subs they sound great,or Fosgate, There are some subs out there that will sound better than that w7, and who wants to deal with the hasel of the odd ohms on these subs.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

Whoa... I completely disagree with wheeler...  

There's nothing wrong with that w7...  3-ohms isn't a hassle either.  Just connect it straight up... positive to positive, negative to negative.  The 400-500watts you'll get is more than enough to drive a subwoofer.  Your girlfriend gave you some really nice stuff (expensive - she must be hunting for the ring soon ;-)!  There are actually few subs out there that sound better than the w7. 

You don't need to get full power out of the amplifier to get really loud.  There'd only be a 3db max SPL difference between 500w and 1000w.  This is tiny to the human ear... 99% of the time you'll never know the difference.  Don't worry about not running 1000w unless you're going to compete in SPL competitions.

Enjoy it, you have some nice stuff there.  Two forum pros Steven, from Adire!, and forbidden, who owns two stores, think the w7 is one of the best subs on the market.  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=31055&get=last   I happen to agree.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
You don't need any help in selection of products....you just need help in enjoying them.  But I'm sure you're girlfriend will help out there!  That setup will rock.
DukeDuke 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
This setup is FOR my girlfriend... not FROM my girlfriend... my setup is a Eclipse Titanium and a Memphis Mojo Amp, but this is my girlfriends Christmas present! Thanks guys!
Duke Duke
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
You the MAN, DukeDuke!  Most girlfriends are lucky to get a deck with a CD from Walmart and Pioneer coaxials.
97Avalonxls 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

keep your amp, give your girl your sub, take hers...merry xmasMemphis 1000D with JL 10W7 -- posted image.

but seriously, no matter how you do it, that will sound good, just make sure the enclosure is done right

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
Wow .. that is a nice gift. Either you're REALLY lucky and your girl actually appreciates that kind of stuff, OR you drive her car a lot. Which is it? ;-)
Mine, unfortunately, couldn't care less and wants tiny stuff that sparkles.
By the way, I agree with 97Avalon, spend some time on the enclosure, it'll make a world of difference.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DukeDuke 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

What do you think about the enclosure? Right now, the box is about 38Wx 12.5Hx 12D(at the top) and 15D(at the bottom)... (so it will be a wedge) if my calc. is right it will be about 2.96 ft3... (no I am not that bad with a measuring tape... it is going to fit perfectly in the back of her trunk) then I will add dividers to make it about 1.25 ft3, does that sound good to everyone? or not? any ideas?

Duke Duke
stevdart 
Posted: December 14, 2004 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
You're putting dividers into a box that you already have (that is too large) to make it smaller for the 10W7?   That would be wasted space, IMO.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic